Forum Index Support Gem Feedback Chain

History

@ unsmith

i started a ranger with the new patch and it was not a quest reward. Dont think the other characters have it because its a Dex gem.

@ wildjesus

just tried it, it works.

MetalSlugVII
Nov 05, 2012 16:53:58 PM

Hello guys, I was wondering if someone knows how this works with Explosive Arrow?

I tried doing some testing but it was dificult, first of all the projectile connects and then chains to 3 targets, BUT the fuse charge ( actual arrow animation sticking out on the target) is bugged now and is not displayed OR the fuse charge is actually not there at all when using chain( would be a bug right?)

In any case I would like to know if when using chain I get:

a) Fuse charge on the first target and no fuses on the 3 chains
b) Fuse charge on the first target and 3 fuses on the chains
c) No fuse charge on the first target and 3 fuses on the chains
d) Bo fuse charges anywhere

TTerom
Nov 05, 2012 19:26:36 PM

"
TTerom wrote:
a) Fuse charge on the first target and no fuses on the 3 chains
b) Fuse charge on the first target and 3 fuses on the chains
c) No fuse charge on the first target and 3 fuses on the chains
d) Bo fuse charges anywhere
None of the above.
e) Fuse on the last target and no fuses anywhere else.

The arrow itself is what explodes, and it does this once it sticks into something - not on the things it passes through.
All skills treat chaining exactly the same as piercing for what triggers effects - just like an arrow doesn't stick into something it pierces through, it also doesn't stick into something it chains through. It sticks into the final thing where it stops moving, and that's what it explodes on.

Mark_GGG
Nov 06, 2012 00:52:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Mark!, and that's interesting to know about the mechanics... I'll play around with fork then :D

TTerom
Nov 06, 2012 01:02:23 AM

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

The arrow itself is what explodes, and it does this once it sticks into something - not on the things it passes through.
All skills treat chaining exactly the same as piercing for what triggers effects - just like an arrow doesn't stick into something it pierces through, it also doesn't stick into something it chains through. It sticks into the final thing where it stops moving, and that's what it explodes on.



If all skills treat chaining the same way as piercing for what triggers effects does that mean the lightning arrow multiple targets effect proc with each hit for chain? Just wondering.

Velpz
Nov 06, 2012 01:12:21 AM

i might be wrong of light arrow but i'm extremely sure pierce/chain will cause light arrow to do the on-hit split effect instead of a final strike based effect like fireball or explosive arrow.

soul4hdwn
Nov 06, 2012 01:41:42 AM

i remember reading somewhere that chaining is a drop only gem. hope that helps :/

glhf

Simony
Nov 07, 2012 01:34:01 AM

So if I level my chain gem to 20 the dmg penalty will be completely negated? Cool. This gem is perfect for LS.

Crossflip
Nov 09, 2012 18:42:38 PM

I have played extensively with this gem and it obviously is very powerful, but I want to give feedback on the following:

The quality bonus on Chain feels inadequate.

1. +1% projectile speed per quality point is too low of a bonus to make a difference, even if you somehow get your hands on a high quality Chain there is no noticeable difference in performance. Most projectiles from bows and wands already move fast enough. This bonus could only be considered beneficial to very slow projectile spells like fireball and ice spear. Chances are no Chain users are currently planning to get quality on it ever.

2. The new Arc spell is not a projectile and it does not benefit from quality Chain at all. Problem is to make Arc perform decently it has to be linked with Chain always. Without it Arc is in this weird place where it is not a single-target skill, but is not an AoE skill either because it hits only 3 targets, which is not enough to kill high density packs in end game maps.

If I had to make a suggestion for replacement - make it give 0,5% attack or cast speed per quality for a total of 10% increase at max quality. This way it benefits spells, bow and wand skills equally and the bonus will actually be desired by players.

drakar8888
Nov 10, 2012 17:33:33 PM

"
Crossflip wrote:
So if I level my chain gem to 20 the dmg penalty will be completely negated? Cool. This gem is perfect for LS.


I've been over this a number of times in global chat dealing with LMP. The gem level provides increased damage, while the base gem ability causes less damage.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Modifiers

CanHasPants
Nov 11, 2012 18:06:31 PM
  • Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 19
  • 20
  • Next