Forum Index Off Topic :;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

History

Enjoying it very much, is it making fun of classics... DBZ? Akira...? I actually like the animations, I wasn’t expecting Fate quality/Violet; but it works. The characters are lively; too new to pick a favorite. His baldness sets the tone ^.^

I’m on a break right now so trying to stuff as much Anime as I can. Ty for the mention...

solwitch
Oct 09, 2019 02:52:26 AM

If you want more recommendations, just name a genre and I should be able to give you a couple good ones.

FCK42
Oct 09, 2019 04:55:47 AM

Got any recommendations for seinen, scifi, psychological, or more adult themed anime by any chance? I know its a bit of a variety but I've watched a few anime and it's getting a bit hard to find ones that tickle my fancy.

Kanye_West
Oct 09, 2019 05:57:48 AM

"
Kanye_West wrote:
Got any recommendations for seinen, scifi, psychological, or more adult themed anime by any chance? I know its a bit of a variety but I've watched a few anime and it's getting a bit hard to find ones that tickle my fancy.

well you're mostly out of luck. This combination is currently not popular(and there and not that much sources.)

Basically it sounds like GITS or psycho pass. Maybe babylon if you would go more into the crime thing. But that's it. If you leave of the psychological you get some of those old school space operas too.

If you haven't seen the classics there is texhnolyze, lain, kiseijuu etc.

As soon as the anime has some 15year old as a main character it gets silly fast most of the time :)

tsunamikun
Oct 09, 2019 11:47:52 AM

"
Kanye_West wrote:
Each of the following check at least some of the boxes you're mentioning:

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
No. 6
Zetsuen no Tempest
Planetes
Knights of Sidonia
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin

I found them all at least watchable and most of them quite enjoyable. There is an "action" element to all of them, even those with a fair proportion of psychological elements in them.

Also, Nejimaki and Zetsuen are technically more fantasy than scifi, but they feel like sci fi. If that makes sense. Strategic thinking is a big part of Nejimaki and in part because of that psychological elements are more or less always interwoven into the storyline.

EnjoyTheJourney
Oct 09, 2019 12:14:27 PM

"
Kanye_West wrote:

That list of genres sounds like the definition of Steins;Gate. If you haven't seen it (or Steins;Gate: Zero) then I'd highly recommend you do so.

For Psychological I'd go with Shinsekai Yori. That's some pretty heavy and dark stuff though, you have been warned.

Another one that *might* fit the list of genres is Suisei no Gargantia. It's a fairly underrated show, but great nonetheless. It has quite a bit of mech going on in it though, but even if you don't like mech that much or at all, I'd still advise you to give it a chance.

Last, but not least would be a "blind" recommendation, as I haven't seen it myself, but Code Geass is supposedly a very good series that should fit into the genres you mentioned quite nicely.

FCK42
Oct 09, 2019 16:19:40 PM

code geass needs a high bullshit tolerance unfortunately. I fought through it but the sheer amount eyerolling need for the series ... its almost as bad as death note.

gargantia was quite good but is per definition a shounen story(coming of age etc)
shinsekai yori was awesome, i will never watch it again through. It is really heavy. The scifi element is very subtle however.

tsunamikun
Oct 09, 2019 21:53:27 PM

"
tsunamikun wrote:
code geass needs a high bullshit tolerance unfortunately. I fought through it but the sheer amount eyerolling need for the series ... its almost as bad as death note.

gargantia was quite good but is per definition a shounen story(coming of age etc)
shinsekai yori was awesome, i will never watch it again through. It is really heavy. The scifi element is very subtle however.

Well I disagree, Code Geass is an amazing anime and very few anime are as good as this one was.

diablofdb
Oct 11, 2019 23:31:39 PM

"
diablofdb wrote:

Well I disagree, Code Geass is an amazing anime and very few anime are as good as this one was.

thats your right of opinion of course. but when someone asks for a scifi seinen anime (as few as there are) i don't think he expects to watch an inconsistent and overly dramatised story about a 15 year old boy with a superpower and mechas.

tsunamikun
Oct 12, 2019 14:00:14 PM

What was asked for was "seinen, sci-fi, psychological or more adult themed" series. The "or" in there implies that not all the mentioned genres have to be matched (which is why I actually gave those recommendations earlier, finding something that fits ALL of those isn't too easy).

In case you were looking for series with all those genres, I'd have two more blind recommendations, Ergo Proxy and Psycho Pass, as well as one more that I watched myself, Darker than Black.

FCK42
Oct 12, 2019 14:59:45 PM
  • Prev
  • Next