Forum Index Off Topic Blizzard North's Diablo III

History

"
Bartuc wrote:
I can't bring myself to like the new art style and there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said to describe it. Everything just seems blocky, unrealistic, and there is no denying WoW's artistic influence. May not be a bad thing in some games, just not in Diablo.

Diablo is known its dark atmosphere, it was the first game I ever played with this dark scheme to it, and I loved the earlier games for this atmosphere (and ofc the loot, etc). I too think they really want that Teen rating to draw more people to the game ofc. To really expand the audience, they need the teen rating, giving them reason to use brighter/more colors, and I understand that from the business point of view.

But then I say look at Sacred, teen rating and they didn't have that horrendous blue green color scheme in dungeons.

Blizzard isn't going to change its ways however. I for one am very glad POE is coming with the mature feel. The leaked pictures look good, and can u imagine what that Angel statue with the spear would look like in the new Diablo 3?

Lol Diablo 3 has been aiming for an M-rating since the beginning.

Don't let your rage cloud the truth.

Septile
Feb 16, 2011 12:00:57 PM

"
Phouriuh wrote:
"
p0rt wrote:
The camera is a deal breaker imo.
Is this legit or is it some failed d2 clone?

its legit its from kotaku. thank god they didnt release that in 05 haha

This is how I expect diablo to look like! Not that unholy disgrace of current wow-cartoon-look-alike...

Blizzard seems to be unable to produce game that doesn't look and fell like wow. They should seriously consider changing the name into WoW Like Game Studios or something like that.

carb0ner
Feb 16, 2011 12:25:29 PM

"
carb0ner wrote:
This is how I expect diablo to look like! Not that unholy disgrace of current wow-cartoon-look-alike...

Blizzard seems to be unable to produce game that doesn't look and fell like wow. They should seriously consider changing the name into WoW Like Game Studios or something like that.

As far as I know SC2 doesn't look like WoW and it's the only new game they've released since WoW.

resira
Feb 16, 2011 13:29:04 PM

hmm the screens looks more like a japanese game or a bad demon souls.. i like the new d3 because i played it at the gamescom and the graphics etc. are ways better!

innoruuk
Feb 16, 2011 13:50:55 PM

"
resira wrote:
"
carb0ner wrote:

As far as I know SC2 doesn't look like WoW and it's the only new game they've released since WoW.

SC2 cartoonish and immature unit design, animation style and color palette (with few exceptions) reminds me on WoW every time I see it or play it. WoW-like feeling is there, no matter how hard I or the others try to deny and ignore it.

In my opinion they managed to ruin sc and I'm afraid the'll do the same to diablo.
Blizzard is good at making WoW and they should stick to it.

carb0ner
Feb 16, 2011 13:54:51 PM

It's true. SC2 is much more cartoony than the original. What bother me most is that the buildings don't look 'big' anymore. They look like little toys rather than actual inhabited buildings. Oh well.

tpapp157
Feb 16, 2011 14:21:53 PM

The colorful and very smoothly animated style is what sells more games for Blizzard, so that is why they choose that style. IMO, they have different genres of games(rts, arpg, mmo) so why not have different art styles as well? I will have to see for myself with D3, as those who have played it say that it does indeed feel dark.

I suppose once you get it all together in one package(sound, animation, etc) it blends into something that cannot be seen or heard, but felt.

FruitLord
Feb 16, 2011 15:18:43 PM

meh, i've been more and more disappointed with blizz's offerings over the last decade.

everything feels more and more cobbled-together, with a pretty paint-job, or at least the attempt at one.

sc2 was horrible, and honestly, i was more than a little worried about d3, but now that i've found PoE its more academic curiosity than anything else.

d3 can crash and burn, and i won't be overly concerned.

drakkos
Feb 16, 2011 16:49:35 PM

Thats the same reason I hate Mario Glaxy. Mario is 2d! It should always be 2d! Why did Nintendo go and ruin my favorite game like that? 3D WORLD? 3D MARIO?! No thank you.

And, while we are on the topic. The original Street Fighter was FAR superior to the newest one. The new one, with there slow-motion and blur effects, with tons of combos and ultra moves. Who needs it? Way to complicated. They ruined the simplistic fun of the original. Screw it.

Metal Gear as well. I miss the top down perspective of the original, the thrill of hiding in a box and then moving the box around the screen. Awesome. But now? It's like watching a movie! They totally turned their backs on the fanbase by changing the ENTIRE look of the game. I mean, why even call it Metal Gear anymore?! It's clearly not even made by most of the original team... another failed game.

OMG! AND Gran Turismo! Jesus, if I wanted to feel like I was driving a car, I'd drive a friking car! Just give me my old Pole Position in the Arcade. Now that was an awesome driving sim.

And while we're talking about sim's I got a gripe with Will Wright as well. The original Sim City was black and white and you didn't have to deal with subways or highways or landmarks or any of that garbage.

Honestly, why do developers keep innovating their games with new ideas and looks and perspectives? We know what we like, THE ORIGINAL GAME! Just give us that game back, in a new package, with little if any changes. Ever.

This is why my favorite game of all time is Dynasty Warriors. 6 games. All the same.

Now, back to complaining about D3.

Wittgenstein
Feb 16, 2011 18:36:42 PM

Haha game rage.

I do agree that a game's general style should be kept, i.e. I wouldn't like Castlevania as much if it weren't side-scrolling. I do, however, believe that there should be differences from one game to the next, not simply storyline changes. If all they wanted was storyline changes, they could simply release expansions for the first game.

It seems like D3 will keep the general feel of D2, so I don't really have anything to complain about regarding D3.

resira
Feb 16, 2011 19:43:29 PM
  • Prev
  • Next