Forum Index Off Topic Magicka

History

"
tpapp157 wrote:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/26/magicka-launch-riddled-with-bugs-paradox-patching-every-24-hours/
Paradox Interactive is known for releasing their games in a rushed and substandard state. It'll probably take months and at least one expansion before the game gets to a point where most developers would normally have considered releasing it. Just look at HoI3 which still has significant bugs and problems over a year after it was released and the players are left hoping that the second expansion which was recently announced will bring the game to a solidly enjoyable state.

Dang, that sucks to hear :(.

Reminds of the company that did Elemental: War of Magic or whatever...still waiting for that game to be fixed. Stardock Entertainment, I believe.

FruitLord
Jan 26, 2011 21:17:45 PM

"
FruitLord wrote:
Dang, that sucks to hear :(.

Reminds of the company that did Elemental: War of Magic or whatever...still waiting for that game to be fixed. Stardock Entertainment, I believe.

Don't get me wrong, Paradox Interactive does some great work. I regularly play Europa Universalis 3 because I consider it to be one of the best strategy games ever made (just as good or better than big name franchises like Civilization and certainly better than Total War). Of course the game has been out for four years and regular patches and expansions have allowed it to reach its current amazing state. I have no doubt that Hearts of Iron 3 will also turn into a great game in another year or so because it really has the potential to be.

tpapp157
Jan 26, 2011 23:07:47 PM

So anyone here that played the full version? I like the demo, but if it's a bugfest i'll pass.

Ganz577
Jan 27, 2011 19:59:44 PM

Been reading the steam boards a lot. Basically the bugs you run into are in multiplayer. But they have already addressed quite a few of those. If you are interested mostly in multiplayer then just wait til next week and read the boards again to see how the bugs are coming.

FruitLord
Jan 27, 2011 21:10:12 PM

i have just played the full version for a couple of hours.. dont really like it i spend more time trying to remember how to do spell more than anything else, just gave up at a boss after getting ganked in a corner for 15 mins by about 15 goblins

had no bugs though and the game looks great but sure does run hot

will give it another go tomorrow

eversorgod
Jan 28, 2011 02:15:40 AM

I've got the full game, make sure you have a Geforce 8800 GT or equivalent, otherwise you'll get what feels like a sub-standard frame rate. I have a Geforce 8500 GT and I need to play the game on its lowest graphics settings. Otherwise I get through the levels without much problems, a slight choppiness but that's it.

Other then that, this game is a great multi-player game, even though the multi-player is a little buggy at the moment. I think this game has a lot of potential if the bugs get fixed. If you don't mind memorizing a few spells you can get by alright.

I think the spell mixing is probably the best aspect of this game. Heavier hitting spells simply take longer to cast. Makes sense - generally a heavy hitting spell should have a longer cast time.

It's more of a gauntlet game though.

Here's a first impression review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XP9OBWGKo

Silver
Jan 28, 2011 06:25:55 AM

Mm okay, guess i'll wait and see a bit if multiplayer gets bugfree first.

Agree on the spell making/mixing system: it's a very simple idea but it works great imho.

Ganz577
Jan 30, 2011 16:40:26 PM

"
Ganz577 wrote:
Mm okay, guess i'll wait and see a bit if multiplayer gets bugfree first.

Agree on the spell making/mixing system: it's a very simple idea but it works great imho.

me too! The spell system is really unique and works great!

Rhesos
Jan 30, 2011 21:39:01 PM

Lucky you, Silver. I have a 7800 and the demo now runs fine with low graphics settings until I hit the troll cave area. Really it depends on how fast I am moving through the chapter it seems. But in any case, after about 10 minutes of playing it suddenly closes to the desktop. Happens in windowed mode. Fullscreen I think just dies as soon as I start the game.

FruitLord
Jan 31, 2011 13:43:09 PM

Bought the game earlier today.

I haven't had any problems with the game (bug-wise) but the devs do not have the online system working properly so in order to play with some one you have to have their i.p or be on their friends list, the match-making is down.

I'm enjoying the game so far. It's a lot different from other games in the genre in that it has a comical appeal to it, rather than a dark-dungeon crawler kind of feel.

The references to other games are pretty funny too.
(Opening cut-scene starts with "Stay a while and listen" - Deckard Cain shout-out anyone?)

BUY THIS GAME! It's only $9.99 too :)

D_Homes
Feb 01, 2011 04:04:44 AM
  • Prev
  • Next