Forum Index Skill Gem Feedback Arctic Armour

History

Is this skill some sort of sadistic joke? Even if all your gear had +mana and +mana regen, you wouldnt even come close to the upkeep cost of this skill.

I really wish they would rather nerf the damage reductions by 25% and decrease the mana degen while moving by 50%. The base mana per second cost should be lowered regardless, by atleast 50%.

The manacost on this thing is uttely insane, you would have to build an entire character around it to even maintain it.

Ouroboros226
Oct 29, 2013 23:43:25 PM

"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
The manacost on this thing is uttely insane, you would have to build an entire character around it to even maintain it.
That's the point. This is not meant to be a skill you can maintain. The option exists to build around achieving that, if you so desire, but this is specifically intended as a temporary buff skill, not something you can always have on.

Mark_GGG
Oct 30, 2013 01:14:45 AM

"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
Is this skill some sort of sadistic joke? Even if all your gear had +mana and +mana regen, you wouldnt even come close to the upkeep cost of this skill.

I really wish they would rather nerf the damage reductions by 25% and decrease the mana degen while moving by 50%. The base mana per second cost should be lowered regardless, by atleast 50%.

The cost is quite reasonable if you stand still. Also, be sensible about levelling it up - if it burns too much mana at max level, use a lower-level gem.

Incompetent
Oct 30, 2013 01:59:41 AM

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
That's the point. This is not meant to be a skill you can maintain. The option exists to build around achieving that, if you so desire, but this is specifically intended as a temporary buff skill, not something you can always have on.

Hmm I understand. Please excuse my rather hostile tone. I saw this skill and loved it until I saw the manacost. So you guys intended for this skill to be a stationary bunker kinda vs bosses in a 1v1 attrition fight, with the possibility of moving around with it at the cost of having to customize your character around it?

Its just that when I did some math:

Mana per second: 38.3
When running: +192/s
Damage reduction: 189

Lets set up a scenario. You encounter a fire based boss with adds. You spend 12 seconds dispatching them. You spend half of that time moving around.

1152 mana + 456 mana = 1608 mana. Lets say you got hit 8 times in that time = 1512 damage mitigated. Lets say you took 6000 total damage over 10 seconds = 600 damage per second. With arctic you would instead take 449 damage per second average. You spent 1600 mana to mitigate 150 damage per second. (11 mana per point of damage?)

The skill just seemed too weak considering the cost. But if your design was intended to have the movement part optional - I understand. And my example may be biased in my favor assuming my math is correct. If you could, can you come with an example where arctic armor would be a great asset? (With the including math)

EDIT: This has probably been answered but Im assuming -% manacost nodes doesent work on the mana per second cost of arctic armor?

Ouroboros226
Oct 30, 2013 02:50:08 AM

Arctic Armour is by far the best against fast-hitting enemies. Your boss hits once per second; a Voidbearer hits ten times per second, and comes with friends. AA effectively neuters them, and protects against any other Physical/Fire damage monster at the same time.

Clarity alone makes it far, far easier to sustain Arctic Armour, and Eldritch Battery is always a powerful solution to Mana Regen problems. It's really not that crazy, especially if you don't get a level 20 gem but something like lv15.

Arctic Armour drains Mana, it does not have a Mana Cost. Reduced Mana Cost does not apply.

Vipermagi
Oct 30, 2013 12:39:42 PM

didn't see anyone ask this so i'll ask this for others. half of the question's answer is in my response last page but it didn't take account for mind over matter keystone. all i know is MoM is a multiplier based defense as it is a damage convert that happens before the true final step of damage. confusing part is that artic armor happens after damage reductions.

so i'm not sure if i answered the question in my confusion or not:
resistances/damage-reduction -> AA -> MoM
or
res -> MoM -> AA
which is it?

soul4hdwn
Oct 30, 2013 18:52:50 PM

I'm pretty sure Mind over Matter only splits up the final damage that would be dealt to you, 70% in life, 30% in mana. So when you get hit you calculate what damage would be dealt to you (including arctic armour, res, endurance charges, whatever), then mind over matter splits that up between mana and life.

It's very possible to sustain arctic armour usage. I've done this before, running a level 19 arctic armour gem. This takes quite a bit of dedication, eldritch battery and a lot of regen, but it is very doable. It is an option to help your defense when you want a character to support a very high cost spell, you can pick up a high level arctic armour to use all the time with it. Or in my case, I was using explosive arrow so I really wanted arctic armour to help with my reflect damage mitigation, so it was completely worth getting the regen to support it.

Avelice
Oct 31, 2013 04:14:44 AM

"
Avelice wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mind over Matter only splits up the final damage that would be dealt to you, 70% in life, 30% in mana. So when you get hit you calculate what damage would be dealt to you (including arctic armour, res, endurance charges, whatever), then mind over matter splits that up between mana and life.

It's very possible to sustain arctic armour usage. I've done this before, running a level 19 arctic armour gem. This takes quite a bit of dedication, eldritch battery and a lot of regen, but it is very doable. It is an option to help your defense when you want a character to support a very high cost spell, you can pick up a high level arctic armour to use all the time with it. Or in my case, I was using explosive arrow so I really wanted arctic armour to help with my reflect damage mitigation, so it was completely worth getting the regen to support it.
ah thanks, i kinda confused myself there lol.

related to rest of your comment, it is also perfectly possible to get enough regen withOUT EB.

soul4hdwn
Oct 31, 2013 04:34:53 AM

This is true, but in order to do so you need to get most of the aura passives to buff Clarity mana regen and still need at least 300% increased mana regen on top of that. While possible, in my opinion it's usually more efficient passive point wise to just pick up Eldritch Battery to amplify your base regen, and then pick up the aura nodes which are convenient.

Avelice
Nov 01, 2013 10:29:21 AM

IS Acrtic armor benefitting for the Aura Effectiveness passive nodes in any way?

azmodael
Nov 02, 2013 13:01:56 PM
  • Prev
  • Next