Forum Index Feedback and Suggestions Lol too funny

History

"
aggromagnet wrote:
Diablo came out in 1996 dude. You don't even need to go anywhere near as far back as 1979. Some of the more comparable titles was the stuff Origin was putting out in the late 80's-early 90's. Ultima 7 is a pretty good example, though there are plenty of others.

The key way in which they diverged was that Diablo put almost exclusive emphasis on the A and very little on the RPG. Whereas the later Ultima games, and even earlier stuff like OG Zelda, were either more RPG-elements heavy or more simplistically balanced around the two. Tack on access to more modern PC hardware, and port in some features like skill trees from other genres--and you've got Diablo.

Blizz didn't invent the ARPG any more than they invented the MMO. They put forth their own take on the genre, it worked very well, and the rest is just history.

I'm really confused what point you're trying to make now, you already established Diablo wasn't the first ARPG. Is this an argument? Are you just saying stuff about this?

My only point was ARPGs have always been on console and worked well, and you're definitely helping with that naming Ultima and Zelda. (I don't consider Zelda an ARPG though, other than the second. That definitely was)

BloodPuddles420
Nov 14, 2019 06:01:30 AM

"
"
aggromagnet wrote:
Diablo came out in 1996 dude. You don't even need to go anywhere near as far back as 1979. Some of the more comparable titles was the stuff Origin was putting out in the late 80's-early 90's. Ultima 7 is a pretty good example, though there are plenty of others.

The key way in which they diverged was that Diablo put almost exclusive emphasis on the A and very little on the RPG. Whereas the later Ultima games, and even earlier stuff like OG Zelda, were either more RPG-elements heavy or more simplistically balanced around the two. Tack on access to more modern PC hardware, and port in some features like skill trees from other genres--and you've got Diablo.

Blizz didn't invent the ARPG any more than they invented the MMO. They put forth their own take on the genre, it worked very well, and the rest is just history.

I'm really confused what point you're trying to make now, you already established Diablo wasn't the first ARPG. Is this an argument? Are you just saying stuff about this?

My only point was ARPGs have always been on console and worked well, and you're definitely helping with that naming Ultima and Zelda. (I don't consider Zelda an ARPG though, other than the second. That definitely was)

Ultima series from its very start was always Apple/Mac (then eventually PC) first, with console ports coming further down the line after release.

Zelda is there for comparison's sake, as what you originally put forth indicated that Blizz invented the ARPG genre with Diablo, which then eventually got ported to consoles. Or maybe you should have chosen a better way to express what you actually wanted to say, in that the genre originated on consoles?

You never made any point about ARPGs having always been on console and worked well. Lol...

Not my fault if you always communicate anything you have to say here on the forums in the poorest ways possible.

Anyway, moving on.

aggromagnet
Nov 14, 2019 06:30:25 AM

"
aggromagnet wrote:

Ultima series from its very start was always Apple/Mac (then eventually PC) first, with console ports coming further down the line after release.

Zelda is there for comparison's sake, as what you originally put forth indicated that Blizz invented the ARPG genre with Diablo, which then eventually got ported to consoles. Or maybe you should have chosen a better way to express what you actually wanted to say, in that the genre originated on consoles?

You never made any point about ARPGs having always been on console and worked well. Lol...

Not my fault if you always communicate anything you have to say here on the forums in the poorest ways possible.

Anyway, moving on.

Nope, you just clearly don't have a thought process. The original thing was in reply to that guy saying "ARPGs and consoles lol". If you had any amount of common sense you'd have realized what that was about.

Instead you were rambling on about something completely unrelated when I blatantly said what my point was about. Are you trolling or seriously that dense?

BloodPuddles420
Nov 14, 2019 07:21:37 AM

"
"
girng wrote:
Console and aRPGs

LOOOOOL

The people who invented the genre disagree with you.

Haha, I knew you'd reply

girng
Nov 14, 2019 08:10:38 AM
  • Prev