Forum Index General Discussion Biggest thing I saw that D4 appears to have that PoE doesn't

History

"
KZA wrote:
In the gameplay trailer, when the sorceress was dealing with just a handful of white mobs, she clustered them together, froze the group with a few ice blasts, then shattered them with a single meteor.

Now why is that so impressive? Here's why.

In PoE, the screen is completely stuffed with mobs and skill effects. You can't count how many mobs there are on the screen, let alone even tell what kind of monsters you're dealing with because you just scoot, explode several screens in one shot, scoot, explode several screens in one shot, repeat X 1000000.

If I want to survive, I want to have to assess how many mobs there are, what kind they are, what skills they're using, their positioning, what spells they are weak against, and then tactically use a variety of my skills to debilitate, control and murder them as effectively as possible. You know, something less mindless, automated and easy.

With that alone, D4 looks like it has my vote. (assuming they keep it that way come release, of course).

P.S. World PVP has me hyped!


If you haven't actually completed the more challenging content in PoE, it's going to feel mindless. If you're building from a guide that someone else wrote then you're no longer having to put in the time to design a character completely your own.

I would strongly disagree with "impressive" - they tried a combo system as far back in D2 and even with synergies it proved far too inefficient to be worthwhile. Having to free that junk just to hit it with the meteor - considering how easily they were frozen the meteor alone was probably enough - unless its supposed to work as some synergy to grant bonus damage. But as I said, they tried a similar tactic in D2 and it just lead to people ignoring that side of the tree or struggling with the hardest difficulty if ever making it that far at all.



SeCKSEgai
Nov 04, 2019 21:27:13 PM

"
1453R wrote:
The footage for Diablo 4 that KZA is praising looked impossibly boring to me, with slow, ineffective characters struggling to deal with even just one or two enemies. Movement was limited, the sorceress' spells did effectively nothing, and the barbarian needing to hit something half a dozen times before it succumbed struck me as exceptionally frustrating. Maybe I'm just too used to Path.


Sounds like D1.

LennyLen
Nov 04, 2019 23:05:47 PM

"
Head_Less wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
You need a legendary staff to put LMP on your fireball skill, just your fireball skill. D4 is a decade behind in depth with skill tree system.


yes but then it is easier to balance and to create great gameplay with it.



"Because it's easier to balance" should NEVER be an excuse for taking out depth to a video game.

I'm going to call it right now even though it's years off of launch. Unless they drastically change their itemization, and add more depth to the game we will see history repeat itself and D4 will wither and fade away very shortly after launch.


And to the point about needing a legendary just to modify a skill, I've been railing against that mindset for freakin YEARS! How hard would it have been to put skills ON the passive tree, with short branches for each skill to modify it? Path down to fireball, maybe choose to throw an LMP on it, and or / pierces ect. That leaves all the gear up to actual choice.

But hey there's an audience apparently out there who would rather have an extremely shallow game because it's 'easier to balance'.

Bleu42
Nov 04, 2019 23:31:40 PM

everything looks amazing so far , (for a pre-alpha).

the hate going around is uncalled for. probably ppl in denial :)


d4 only has to be on par with poe and then be more smooth on top and its GG git gud.


i do appreciate having PoE in the meantime though :)

teksuoPOE
Nov 05, 2019 02:28:51 AM

"
teksuoPOE wrote:
everything looks amazing so far , (for a pre-alpha).

the hate going around is uncalled for. probably ppl in denial :)


d4 only has to be n par with poe and then be more smooth on top and its GG git gud.


i do appreciate having PoE in the meantime though :)


Assuming you know in advance what's going to be at ExileCon

girng
Nov 05, 2019 02:31:04 AM

They will show off atleast one mtx.

Tenzarin_MyNameWasTaken
Nov 05, 2019 02:34:11 AM

"
girng wrote:
"
teksuoPOE wrote:
everything looks amazing so far , (for a pre-alpha).

the hate going around is uncalled for. probably ppl in denial :)


d4 only has to be n par with poe and then be more smooth on top and its GG git gud.


i do appreciate having PoE in the meantime though :)


Assuming you know in advance what's going to be at ExileCon


well i know they're not doing a new engine... so unless chris has a miracle in his sleeve, smoothness is out of the question.

teksuoPOE
Nov 05, 2019 02:34:33 AM

"
teksuoPOE wrote:
"
girng wrote:
"
teksuoPOE wrote:
everything looks amazing so far , (for a pre-alpha).

the hate going around is uncalled for. probably ppl in denial :)


d4 only has to be n par with poe and then be more smooth on top and its GG git gud.


i do appreciate having PoE in the meantime though :)


Assuming you know in advance what's going to be at ExileCon


well i know they're not doing a new engine... so unless chris has a miracle in his sleeve, smoothness is out of the question.




You may be right, but let's be honest, arn't you just a little hyped?

girng
Nov 05, 2019 03:40:39 AM

"
teksuoPOE wrote:


well i know they're not doing a new engine... so unless chris has a miracle in his sleeve, smoothness is out of the question.


They could definitely make smooth game play in the current engine though. It's definitely way beyond good enough for that. Smoothening the game play is just changing timings and animations, the movement is already great. (On PC, it's trash on console)

I'm pretty sure the only reason they don't is because they would need to change a ton of other things about the game mechanically. There's no way they could fit that much balance into their schedule.

BloodPuddles420
Nov 05, 2019 03:56:37 AM

Cant agree more than 100%

lolcaaa
Nov 05, 2019 04:50:24 AM
  • Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Next