Forum Index General Discussion D4 versus POE ?

History

"
girng wrote:
PoE right now, but after watching the gameplay from https://www.twitch.tv/wolfcryer, Chris better step it up.

After watching this I'm certain that I won't like the game.

Gameplay is fluid as always (it was in D3, too), and the skill progression system is clearly better (meaningful point allocations), but:

1) the items are still MMO Garbage. Just looking at the numbers published on those items, it's abundantly clear that they have no intent of making any medium-level impactful items like D2 had; you better find max-level versions of anything your build needs or the stats will be pitiful compared to what you need to survive in harder content. Like, okay, maybe one of the best unique rings for your build may drop starting at level 29, but if you are level 60 and still wearing it you'll be completely gimping your build compared to an average rare ring at level 60. It's not good item design and never was.

2) the actual skill bar itself is full of ridiculous cooldowns (including... potion cooldowns). Cooldowns are sometimes necessary for certain things but you can't design a whole skill bar around them. Time is the shittiest resource of all; resource management is fun when you can do something about it besides scale a single "cooldown reduction" stat.

codetaku
Nov 02, 2019 14:47:07 PM

PoE on features

d4 on butter-smooth performance

Hyped for exilecon but 1/2 that hype died when they said it's the same engine and not a rewrite so expect 4.0 to run like shit.

Really hard to tell what the features will be in d4 (crafting, skill system, etc.) but if they fix all the problems they had in d3 with items and depth or at least expand on it throughout the life of d4, bliz will catch up easy and Chris can go take his $$ to work on some new project - or retire early.

cgexile
Nov 02, 2019 14:59:41 PM

Looks like they're just trying to remake D2 in the new engine. Hell, they're even bringing all the old classes back. Chances are we're getting Druid, Sorceress, Barbarian (all confirmed), Amazon (cos you need to fill the archer/rogue archetype) and Necromancer (for summoners, no Druid doesn't cut it for satisfying summoners). So that leaves Paladin and Assassin left out in the cold (cos only 5 on launch). What little gameplay they've shown looks ... pretty standard. Meh.

People make a big deal out of the return to the old art style. I don't give a crap about the art style. I want an interesting game, and if all they're gonna do is remake D2 in a new engine then no thanks (I'm not a graphics nut either). D4 needs to actually push the genre forward and introduce new ideas that make for interesting gameplay, not cash in on nostalgia. I don't give a crap about this being a Blizzard game - I'll judge it on its own merits as if it came from some unknown studio, much like PoE.

Basically, what we've seen so far actually looks miles behind where PoE is now, let alone 4.0. Better in terms of graphics and likely performance, but way more primitive in terms of concept and mechanics.

P.S.: Btw, what makes Lilith so scary? She's the daughter of Mephisto. Sure she (co-)created Sanctuary, but we've already defeated each of the PRIME Evils, then all 3 of them together, then all of them together + Malthael. How's she gonna top that?

Exile009
Nov 02, 2019 15:13:22 PM

"
Exile009 wrote:

P.S.: Btw, what makes Lilith so scary? She's the daughter of Mephisto. Sure she (co-)created Sanctuary, but we've already defeated each of the PRIME Evils, then all 3 of them together, then all of them together + Malthael. How's she gonna top that?

Much like the status of the games the status of the heroes who challenge the demons has gotten worse! The D2 barb arm wrestles diablo whereas the D3 barb is fighting tertiary evils. The D4 barb is just gonna be a guy who hits the gym 3x a week his scope of evil slaying is somewhat reduced.

Draegnarrr
Nov 02, 2019 15:29:30 PM

Long live D4! Goodbye to this slot machine garbage.

ariakas6165
Nov 02, 2019 15:34:21 PM

"
ariakas6165 wrote:

Imagine thinking an ARPG is not rng :^)

Heiwananas
Nov 02, 2019 16:09:46 PM

"
ariakas6165 wrote:

KopaKabana
Nov 03, 2019 02:22:01 AM

"
ariakas6165 wrote:

first you will have to wait a couple of years at least

Exxxiled665
Nov 03, 2019 07:50:23 AM

I'm still more excited for PoE's future especially since D4 is still a long way out and it has a lot of catching up to do, but that said GGG also has to change a lot of things now, particularly with regards to progression, atlas and as OP pointed out, the problems with screen clearing, homogenizing all skills to be able to clear screens and screens quickly with very occasional one-shot.

Progression. Maps are too easy. T16 maps should be hard, not just because of league mechanics. Right now they aren't. Players have too much power since War for the Atlas with shaper/elder items, and more and more powerful uniques added into the game. They've buffed some rares life and stuff but it's not enough. Overhaul on player/enemy balance is needed.

Off-screening enemies, game has become too fast-paced, ranged attacks chaining projectiles, all of these need to be reigned in. Skills should be more distinct, skills should have more pros and cons.

NexiieQT
Nov 03, 2019 08:49:07 AM

Too early to tell, But I guess I am leaning toward PoE.. Depends on how blizzard implements trade. If there are account bound items, then it will definitely be PoE.

jables
Nov 03, 2019 13:09:46 PM
  • Prev
  • Next