Forum Index General Discussion D4 officially announced - GGG's next move?

History

No point in quoting a guy i'm posting right next to but ^ this, wait i'm on the next page

<- (back 1) this

ARPGs need depth or they feel very shallow, that is fine if your expected lifetime for your game is 20 hours then done it isn't fine if you want to sell it as a service for years.

Draegnarrr
Nov 02, 2019 20:29:17 PM

For my part, I don't know how will really be D4, since for the moment, very few of the game is known. As someone said before, when we remember D3 2008 trailer, almost nothing that was displayed in the video actually made it to the final version. So we need to be careful about this.
But to be honest, the few minutes of footage are impressive. The graphics are nice, the action is intense, fluid, violent. The colours are darkened, the universe more mature. Blizzard intend to make a smart move here.
Condescendance toward D4 is really not smart : know and respect your ennemy in order to defeat it.

I really hope GGG is really gonna take this new game as THE big challenger for them. Mega expansion needs to be REALLY impressive to keep people playing PoE.
Even though D4 might lack some technical depth in the game, Blizzard always know to beat their opponants by make visually attractive games, with strong gameplay mechanics, at least on the surface. And it usually is enough to have a huge community around their games. So I sincerely hope that GGG will improve on gameplay as well their core mechanics to keep being in the race.

PS : sorry for my English :)

Wolowizard88
Nov 02, 2019 20:35:27 PM

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Listen we get it edgelord. You hate Diablo and Blizzard and think D4 is trash.

He's right though.

At least from what I've seen so farm; they are making the exact same mistakes as they did with Diablo 3.

"Not dark and gritty enough" was far from Diablo 3's biggest problem. The lack of customization and "too simplified" were Diablo 3's biggest problems. How many defensive options do you have as a barbarian? Is there only one, giving you the superb "option" to stack this ONE defense? What about offensive options? Are we JUST talking about DPS? Are there more ways of scaling your damage? Can you choose your type of damage in any way? Are there BUILDS, or can you change everything on the fly - all the time, making all "builds" feel as special as glass of water?

Will your build/progression/customization MATTER, or will they be as shallow as they were in D3? Seeing as they are making maps bigger, influenced by MMO's, this one quote from Total Biscuit comes to mind, when he talked about Skyrim:

"The size of an ocean, but with the depth of a puddle". That's where the Diablo franchise is at. Sadly. The sad thing? A lot of people like the simplicity and praise the simple, arcady outcome, so I can't blame Blizzard for going down that road. They ARE giving (a lot of) people what they want.

Did you even watch the streams and developer panel?

There are skills, talents, runes, legnedary modifiers, and we dont even know about crafting, ect...and this is an incredibly early alpha build. No one is saying those are incredibly deep, hell what arpg is?

The Barbarian had 4 active weapon slots, and certain skills tied to those weapons. You could be dual wielding and seamlessly pull out a heavy weapon special attack. That's interesting.

DarthSki44
Nov 02, 2019 20:41:23 PM

You are right DarthSki but those things could also disappear long before release, the playable demo doesn't paint a great picture but its very early days so really we have no idea if they'll add loads to it or not.

Draegnarrr
Nov 02, 2019 20:58:49 PM

How does damage scaling (for spell-skills) works for non-melee classes like sorceress?

Does it scale with weapon damage (D3) , or only skills ranks like in D2.

It was always funny in D3 that spell-damage is based on how sharp your axe is.

gandhar0
Nov 02, 2019 21:00:26 PM

Honestly think POE has no competition.... the base game + expansions model in D4 (probably 1 year apart) is so dated in a live game.
The season will also suck after watching the livestream they had, its gonna be generic buffs to certain legendaries(looking at ring of royal granduar type season in d3) with a seasonal legendary item reward.

chanlinexile
Nov 02, 2019 21:17:08 PM

"
gandhar0 wrote:
How does damage scaling (for spell-skills) works for non-melee classes like sorceress?

Does it scale with weapon damage (D3) , or only skills ranks like in D2.

It was always funny in D3 that spell-damage is based on how sharp your axe is.

Looks like weapons grant "weapon attack" as opposed to just "attack" mentioned on other gear. So I'd assume spell damage does not depend on your weapon, but does benefit from the rest of your equipment.

This is merely speculation on my part though.

Necrolyte
Nov 02, 2019 22:25:54 PM

D4 is a perfected version of D3. That's it. From the get go you will feel the similarity. This is how D3 was intended to be but ended up repacked as D4.

digitalspenz
Nov 02, 2019 23:00:39 PM

Poe has nothing to fear from D4 after watching the Panels at Blizzcon.

It will loose Players for a while, but after realising D4 is a reskinned Open World Version of D3, they will come back.

Did you see the "Stats" in D4? :D

Imiona
Nov 02, 2019 23:04:59 PM

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Did you even watch the streams and developer panel?

There are skills, talents, runes, legnedary modifiers, and we dont even know about crafting, ect...and this is an incredibly early alpha build. No one is saying those are incredibly deep, hell what arpg is?

The Barbarian had 4 active weapon slots, and certain skills tied to those weapons. You could be dual wielding and seamlessly pull out a heavy weapon special attack. That's interesting.

What's the difference between a skill using two or one weapon, when you're wielding both, they change on the fly and all of them are available all the time? Just another mechanics that removes a choice. Will Diablo 5 just let you wield two axes, a two-handed mace, a wand, a staff and a crossbow?

Anyhow, I did watch most of what's released, and the talents looked VERY minor, and not really anything that makes YOUR build differ from any other barbarian (or other classes) out there. Runes? I like runes. As long as they're as impactfull (and rare) as in Diablo 2.

I'm still open. I will be VERY positive if talents make an impact, and you're not able to change everything on the fly. I will be positive if you can specialize in a skill - and that those choices follow you. I will be very positive if you can "build" one barbarian a completely different way, offensively and defensively than another barbarian. I will be very positive if armor pieces (and talents) have more than one defensive option.

Needless to say: I will be very positive if you have more than one option to gear a class.

Phrazz
Nov 03, 2019 00:18:18 AM
  • Prev
  • Next