Forum Index Feedback and Suggestions Big QOL Local trade vending box idea

History

Since a lot of people are asking for their crappy gamebreaking action houses i'll present a new idea that's actually good;

Make it possible to have a local hideout vending tab/box in hideouts where people can personally come and collect items you placed there for the price you set on every item instead of you having to go back to hideout and manually initiating a trade with them, because that means going away from your map/boss/delve. People will also be able to go to your hideout and buy without even having to be in a party. However the normal hideout accessibility rules follow at a players discretion i.e having to be in party or not.

Any item listed in the box will be visible on display for a price hovered over cursor not unlike how vendors work. This tab is also accessible in your stash where you can modify it and any item put there priced will be copied to the local vend box which is in your hideout, but you can also put items directly into the vending box.

This is not a realm wide box but local box in the players hideout like an npc shop, any item placed there will give the buyer a text not unlike currently how vendor trade works to let them know it's from the box and not you; "Hey i'd like to trade 14c for your X from vending box", player buys item, and chaos/exalt is deposited into the box, which you can collect at any time from it.

In addition this feature will make it difficult for price fixers who are not serious about their trade and are wasting everyone's time. Additional code could also be made to make trade sites aware it's in the box for purchase at the time.

A counter argument for this would perhaps be "it would make it easier for bots", it won't. Because the nature of the box is that you place the item there and set a price would make it exactly the same as p2p trading without interaction.

For money making purposes the player gets 1 normal stash tab in the box for free, but is able to buy more pages. And avoid scamming the player is not able to edit the box tab with anyone present in hideout.

Olympiacoz
Oct 21, 2019 08:01:53 AM

This would mean easier trade which is what the current trade system is there to prevent.

The purpose of the current system is not to not have an auction house, but prevent easy trade. Thus any suggestion that will make trade easier is moot.

Cyzax
Oct 21, 2019 12:14:09 PM

"
Olympiacoz wrote:
i'll present a new idea that's actually good

Hate to break it you and not trying to be mean or anything:

This (or something very similar to your idea) has been suggested several times each league for years and nothing happened.
So its fair to assume:
1. GGG is aware of this option
2. They dont want to implement it and rather stick to their version of trading

Cheers

Orbaal
Oct 21, 2019 12:56:52 PM

"
Olympiacoz wrote:
Since a lot of people are asking for their crappy gamebreaking action houses i'll present a new idea that's actually good;

Make it possible to have a local hideout vending tab/box in hideouts where people can personally come and collect items you placed there for the price you set on every item instead of you having to go back to hideout and manually initiating a trade with them, because that means going away from your map/boss/delve.

I don't agree with your sentiment of an AH automatically killing a game - and I intend to make my own thread on that when I find the time.

Your suggestion is good though, that's a solution I remember from Dark Age of Camelot some 15+ years ago. There are a few obstacles to handle - like access hideout permission or if the NPC should be able to accept alternate payments of the same value ("can I pay 5ex 200c?").

But the bigger issue is apparently to get GGG to want this or any other trade QoL improvement. And the only thing I can do right now is to push this for visibility.

I just re-read the manifesto and it is all about items: actual equippable items, swords and boots and gloves - not consumables. I think that's the angle to argue from. Later.

Solmyr77
Oct 23, 2019 16:21:47 PM

"
Solmyr77 wrote:
I just re-read the manifesto and it is all about items: actual equippable items, swords and boots and gloves - not consumables. I think that's the angle to argue from. Later.

You didn't read it well enough...

One of the main issues with consumable (as well as items) is that the game has to be playable by two groups, those that trade, and the majority that doesn't. And this while maintaining the difficulty level for both groups within the 'playable, not too easy' range.

Say you implement easy trade of consumables. This would mean that the trading players suddenly get almost unlimited access to maps.
This is not intended in the game design, so GGG would have to restrict map drops... but this would make the game unplayable to the non-trading majority.

It can't (and won't) be done. The only way to do it would be balancing two different games, and that would be throwing a lot of money at something that is only an issue for a very small (but vocal) group of players.

Cyzax
Oct 23, 2019 16:42:41 PM

"
Cyzax wrote:
"
Solmyr77 wrote:

You didn't read it well enough...

One of the main issues with consumable (as well as items) is that the game has to be playable by two groups, those that trade, and the majority that doesn't. And this while maintaining the difficulty level for both groups within the 'playable, not too easy' range.

Maybe I didn't, maybe you didn't, but this is beside the point.

You assume that non-traders remain non-traders and I think that is fundamentally wrong.

Some 5k years ago eating meat required you to hunt down that animal, which meant risking your life. Some QoL improvements down the road, you can have your meal without jumping through those hoops. Get what I'm saying?

Doesn't mean everyone will suddenly trade, just like not everyone eats meat - but the easy availability would "convert" a significant number of people.

And btw, one could argue that the existence of SSF already invalidates the whole "non-trader" argument.

Solmyr77
Oct 23, 2019 16:56:08 PM

"
Cyzax wrote:

The purpose of the current system is not to not have an auction house, but prevent easy trade. Thus any suggestion that will make trade easier is moot.

OP idea would kinda fit with this GGG logic, if everything he said was only for "bulk only items" like currency, frags, scarabs, essences, fossils and such.

equipments, cards, prophecys and maps would still need this awful player interaction GGG pleases so much, probably because nobody there actually plays the game anymore to experience how bad it actually is

Mlvado
Oct 23, 2019 17:03:33 PM

"
Solmyr77 wrote:
You assume that non-traders remain non-traders and I think that is fundamentally wrong.

From the trade manifesto:

"
The difference in magnitude of trading (and hence item acquisition and progress) between non/low-traders and heavy traders is gigantic.

"
The significant differences in character power and player progression caused by trade has already created a situation where Path of Exile is very hard for some players and quite easy for others. Some people never stand a chance of seeing some of the Atlas of Worlds content, while others can rather quickly defeat it and are looking for new challenges. We're tentatively okay with the degree to which this occurs currently, but it would be much worse if trading were made substantially easier.

Cyzax
Oct 23, 2019 17:08:06 PM

Imagine going to thousands upon thousands of hideouts every day just to search for a specific item.

This only works in relatively small MMOs like Risk Your Life / Return of Warrior. IMO, this is not feasible with the sheer amount of players Path of Exile has.

girng
Oct 23, 2019 17:47:03 PM

"
girng wrote:
Imagine going to thousands upon thousands of hideouts every day just to search for a specific item.

This only works in relatively small MMOs like Risk Your Life / Return of Warrior. IMO, this is not feasible with the sheer amount of players Path of Exile has.

Yes, a 1:1 port of that system wouldn't work. I was assuming poe.trade like now, you whisper the seller, he "okay"s you entering his HO and you interact with his shop npc there - without access to his portals.

@Cyzax:
Sorry, I don't see a connection between those quotes and my statement.

Solmyr77
Oct 23, 2019 19:11:41 PM
  • Next