Forum Index General Discussion Sorry Chris, I gotta call BS on your "Path of Exile forever" video

History

"
girng wrote:
You forgot the PhD required to circumnavigate the atlas.

other than divination cards (they just give you more items and they barely ever drop too WTF SQUARED), delve (and MAYBE the labyrinth, I mean I only fully went through it like 3–5 times) the atlas is the absolutely biggest example of wasted potential they ever put in the game. it's literally just a new interface for a system that existed already in the game (mapping), and they claimed it was an entire expansion LOL. (only topped by the map pack "expansion" that followed it). I could come up with 5 things on how to actually make the atlas an expansion in 5 minutes! the atlas (I think it came after the lab) was the moment when I finally realised that chris wilson was incompetent because nobody competent would greenlight a game design concept in such an unbelievably shitty and undeveloped state. it reminds me of a joke I ages ago read in a gaming magazine (Gamestar), namely that the next Tomb Raider game would feature the innovation of items in the inventory scrolling vertically instead of horizontally. that is exactly what the atlas was, an interface change with no added benefit (well other than having to beat each map boss once, but so what, even that becomes meaningless when you have to do it on each new character).

on topic: poe isn't even worth being played for more than 1 league, as standard is useless and temp leagues are always the same thing with some really minor difference (that gets even more and more minor with every league cause almost every league flavour is put in the game nowadays). poe is designed to be like if league of legends games would last for 3 days straight each instead of 30-50 min. there simply is no long-term motivation because league-spanning elements are utterly missing (all there is is standard, and it's not supported by the developer.) the problem goes FAR BEYOND any league flavour element, performance issue, balancing or bug – it's a problem on the second to top layer of the game design (with the first layer saying poe is a hack and slash where you run around, kill monsters and loot items in quick succession – that part I always liked...)

LMTR14
Oct 17, 2019 14:13:07 PM

This is a real disaster, the performances are outrageous, and come to bother us with this labyrinth, so antifun, so missed, unbearable, a stupid chore.
We do not loot anything, it's unbearable, play like morons to collect fragments of things that will give shit.
In fact, you just have to be lucky and sell. A grocer game that is sorely lacking atmosphere in the outer levels, the relief has always been missed. The interior levels are better on the atmosphere.
Delve is exceptional, incursion and bestiary are successful, the new system of masters is great, atlas elder etc are very good, but you rested on your laurels, mechanics and great content from the beginning and the result, despite the content great, always has a taste of beta. Too much copy pasted, too much portal on the right, portal on the left, portal red , portal blue etc ... The atmosphere of the incredible trailers is not retranscrise, especially in the outdoor levels. Yet there is a lot of poetry and depth in the unique and their quotes, so I do not understand.
More than the surprising console porting or the very hard work on the mtx, a work on the lore, the addition of new characters, and a replacement for the labyrinth would have been desirable, as well as a change in the rate of loot or the possibility for everyone to really find great good stuff, more on merit, play time, than luck.

The game has always been great because the basic mechanics were, but could never jump a step. You took the "grinding" too seriously. The guys become hateful and avaricious, especially in standard league. Finally the standard league would be an amusement park where everything would be available, it would be better.

Sigfried2642
Oct 17, 2019 14:18:08 PM

Map upgrade list

DoubleU
Oct 17, 2019 15:13:37 PM

"
RNGebus wrote:
Original Post
When you said there is content in the game that only 10% of players get to and other players are like "Oh man I wish I was that good" that is NOT what we are thinking.

What do you need in order to do the end game content, that most of us never get to you ask?

1) Luck

You need a shitload of luck to either get the drops for gear you need or find gear/currency to trade for it (if not in SSF).

You need shitloads of luck getting your map drops. You know when I run 30 Channel maps and no Fungal map drops... apparently I need to just git gud right?

2) Time

It takes a goddamn horrendous amount of hours to get to any of this end game content. Honestly way too much in a short period of time as 3 months IMHO. Who has time to work 40 hours, study 20 hours and have enough hours left over to grind to the end game? People with no lives that's who.

You said "Streamers are usually the ones to get to end game content, cause they're 'GOOD'". LOL! They get there cause they do nothing but game all day every day and have the TIME to do it. I'm sure any one of us playing around the same amount of hours would be able to just as easily get to the end game content.

3) Skill / build knowledge

LAST but not least, NOW skill comes into play. IF you have the luck and have the time NOW you need to know how to build and how to play well.

So what we're thinking when we see people in end game content isn't "Gee I wish I was that good" ... is instead "God these people have no flipping lives".

Hell I actually don't even have a life and I STILL don't have time to get to all that fun looking end game content.

Edit:

I said it before and I'll say it again. The most fun I ever had in this game was Harbinger League where I easily solo'd my way up to the Shaper. It was the most fun I've ever had and never have been able to repeat that before or after that league.

Whatever the hell you guys did PUT IT BACK! I loved finding 5-6 maps almost EVERY SINGLE MAP! Most of which were either the same tier or HIGHER TIER! It was GLORIOUS!

1) Luck helps, but is not needed. Efficient farming strategies and market knowledge trumps this any day of the week. Making currency is both consistent and second nature once you learn how it's done. (SSF is another story, but GGG made it clear that the game is not balanced around SSF and that it's only for the truly dedicated.)

2) I have a 50 hour work week and I do completely fine. A few hours after work each day and some more on the weekend when I don't have any social plans is more than enough to be levelled, geared, atlas strategy done and sitting on 30 - 40 ex for future builds and optimisations after 1 or 2 weeks depending on how lucrative the league mechanic was.

3) I don't understand what point you are trying to put across here, just seem to be repeating yourself? Yes skill and knowledge is essential, but I would have thought that was obvious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maps are relatively easy to sustain at almost any tier with good shaping strategy, sextants, chisels, quant rolls and making sure you do your temples / delve / zana etc. The master mission rework has made map drops far more sustainable this league than previous ones.

Blighted maps can't have a high drop rate atm, because their loot is insane. Have made 150Ex so far this league from them, and that's after buying every single map and the oil for them.

At this point, i'm just lazily going through and mopping up challenges till I hit 40 as I have ignored them for the rest of the league.

Also keep in mind that the 10% he is talking about includes the people that make their first character, level up once, open the skilltree then alt f4. If we are talking about a % of the active playerbase I would wager that it's much higher.

Zionyaru
Oct 17, 2019 15:17:29 PM

If that game was easy, I'll probably go back to play Diablo 3.

Path of exile is just well designed to me. You have to farm, you have to grind, if you have no time maybe a game like League of legend or Counter strike suits you better.

What I love in this game is its hability to be rewarding by doing Hight tier maps.

This leagues is for me the best league in terms of loot, endgame content and gear.

I finally learned how to use my Atlas correctly.
I finally killed the shaper.
I finally farm a tier 16 map more than 2 times.

And I have around 3000 hours on this game.

It tooks me time, but you can't imagine how proud I am to finally reach the endgame content with a build I theorised myself.

SO please GGG keep this game like it is. Don't listen casual players to fit their needs, because there is not much games that provide a good grind like this.

I repeat myself, but if you want to grind the endgame within a day -> Grind games are not the type you are looking for.

hooli01
Oct 17, 2019 16:01:34 PM

"
hooli01 wrote:
If that game was easy, I'll probably go back to play Diablo 3.

Path of exile is just well designed to me. You have to farm, you have to grind, if you have no time maybe a game like League of legend or Counter strike suits you better.

What I love in this game is its hability to be rewarding by doing Hight tier maps.

This leagues is for me the best league in terms of loot, endgame content and gear.

I finally learned how to use my Atlas correctly.
I finally killed the shaper.
I finally farm a tier 16 map more than 2 times.

And I have around 3000 hours on this game.

It tooks me time, but you can't imagine how proud I am to finally reach the endgame content with a build I theorised myself.

SO please GGG keep this game like it is. Don't listen casual players to fit their needs, because there is not much games that provide a good grind like this.

I repeat myself, but if you want to grind the endgame within a day -> Grind games are not the type you are looking for.

you love the league yet you're not doing your chores.

you "finally" killed shaper after 3000 hours?

your entire "opinion" reeks of bait..

it worked good job.

Xystre
Oct 17, 2019 16:21:23 PM

"
RNGebus wrote:

GTFO with this garbage man. The entire point of my post was that it doesn't necessarily take SKILL to beat the end game content it's that you need a crapload of RNG and TIME.

You have 3 months to get there. It's been 1 month. As someone who's never had a god build or had more than 15 Exalts at one time, trust me... getting to the end game stuff is NOT that hard at all.

Gulch
Oct 17, 2019 16:30:10 PM

You left out trading, what you really need to do is more trading. Trading is the optimum solution to literally every problem in the game, you run into the slightest problem? Trade for the solution it's what you're supposed to do.

j33bus
Oct 17, 2019 16:38:21 PM

I'd say the order for non-SSF is

1. Skill

2. Time

3. Luck

The order for SSF is

1. Time

2. Skill

3. Luck

Luck was a LOT more relevant in ssf before zana started offering her crazy "alternate of the same tier" "+5 tiers" "t16" options. But now, when you know what to do and how to do it, luck really isn't that impactful on getting to uber elder in SSF. Time absolutely is a huge factor, though.

In a trade league, though, you have access to all of the same things but also poemap.live and the ability to buy an entire decently-fast build for like 10c. The knowledge to make such a build and to trade maps up to a complete access is the most important in non-ssf.

I admit I have tons of time to play--I have like 9 days of /played in blight league now. I don't expect everyone to have 30ex sitting in their stash with a complete (including corruptions) build to their name with 30% exp away level 100. But I hit 150/159 atlas completion, with a shaper kill, at around 30 hours of playtime. That would mean less than 1 hour per day since league start, if someone had the same playtime now. How is that possible? Because game is easy. I'm not even that good. People with far more skill than I had were killing shaper like 30 hours after leaguestart, when they didn't even have a huge pool of people to trade maps with.

codetaku
Oct 17, 2019 16:45:45 PM

PoE is just about time (since that's all you need to shift RNG patterns) but no one can deny that endgame bosses in this game are way too hard to get.

In my case for example:

1- Since delve league i`ve been going to 83+ Monster level depth in all leagues i played and only this league i found an Aul.

2- I`ve been using zana breach mod pretty much this entire league (trying to spawn a chayula) and i am still at 72 splinters. So even if i kept spawning it for 2 more months i would fight chayula at best 2 times in an entire league while forcing her "entry cost".

3- I only found 3 cortex in synthesis while playing the mechanic in a way to replace bosses as fast as possible. And this league zana offered me synthesis fights twice.

4- I have 22 maraketh splinters, so even playing the entire 3 months of the league i would probably not have a maraketh emblem lol.

5- By farming atziri for some time i never completed more than 2 uber atziri sets through an entire league.

6- Playing Syndicate with the sole reason of getting as much mastermind intel as i could, i was able to fight Catharina 3 times in the league.

So, by my personal experience, playing 4hours/day someone would not be able to fight certain end-game bosses more than twice every 3 months.
This leads to the PoE trade hypocrisy, where trade needs to be awful for things to have value but the solution to all the flaws in the game is trading.

Mortyx
Oct 17, 2019 18:31:41 PM
  • Prev
  • Next