Forum Index Gameplay Help and Discussion Guide to Blight Towers

History

Empowering tower, improves effectiveness of other towers - but what does it do exactly? Do additional levels increase the power of the buff or only increase the range?

These are the questions i asked myself recently. They pushed me to make a few, small tests to quickly deduce the answer for both... However when it comes to me, "small" always leads to "EVERYTHING". I've end up testing every tower and how does each level of empowering tower affects them, collecting all data i was capable of.

This guide is basically a big summary of everything i gathered, including possible strategies for particular turrets.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE YOU READ
=====================

The numbers seen here are not absolute, estimated error margin is ~0,05 sec, but should be correct in majority of the cases.

Tower damage and any increases (if there are) are extremely hard to test due to variable hp and resistances of the monsters. Therefore i did not include anything related to tower damage other than official tooltip.

Based on Seimic tower testing, Empowering tower might also improve secondary effects caused by towers like: chill effect, freeze duration, stun duration and similar. Like with damage, it's very hard to measure it.

Due to me playing SSF and having limited access to oils, i don't have the data on more tricky annointments.

Keywords:
Duration - total time during which tower is active per cast.
Recharge - total time between casts.
Emp - shortcut for Empowering tower, signifies that the stat is affected or granted by the it.

Additional Resources:
Blight Helper - Oil Annoinment browser.
PoEDB.tw - Blight tower ingame tooltip data
Blight Tower Data - raw data i've collected

Aura Towers

Empowering Tower
Improves the effectiveness of other towers

Damage: None
Radius: 35 / 45 / 55

* Empowering tower's effect increases with level of the tower.
* Empowering tower's effect varies depending on the type of tower.
* Towers affected by Empowering tower have a small circle around them.

* Empowering tower requires line of sight in order to buff another tower.
* If a tower is supported by multiple Empowering towers, only a single, strongest one will apply it's effect.
* Empowering tower can be supported by another Empowering tower, however it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Role: Support - Essential Tower
Rating: 5/5

Commentary:
Starting with most complicated tower of them, as it has an effect on other towers. Objectively it's the best tower in the game, massively increasing power of nearby towers. For many towers, being supported by level 3 Empowering equals to more than double the effectiveness - and it can support more than one tower. You should ALWAYS build it along other towers.

Annointments:
Currently i have no data how exactly they impact the towers.

In general the annointments are great if you're using multiple different tower. Damage annointments have obvious effect. Cast speed works in similar way but also buffs utility towers. Tower effect is the unknown one, which may or may not be the best general ring annointment.

Imbuing Tower
Gives additional stats to nearby players

Radius: 55
Base - 25% Attack and Cast speed, 30% Movement speed
Emp I - 30% increased Damage
Emp II - 30% increased Critical Strike chance
Emp III - 10% Life Regeneration

* Stats given by Empowering tower are additional. At level 3 all of the above stats will be granted to the player.
* Imbuing tower buff doesn't stack.
* Only players receive the buff. Other allied units (like minions or towers) are not affected by the Imbuing tower.
* Totems, traps and mines are based on player's stats and therefore affected by the tower. However life regeneration won't be applied to them.

Role: Support - Buffing
Rating: 2/5

Commentary:
Pretty nice all around buff, especially if your damage and clear is top tier. Otherwise, it's kinda whatever and not worth building at all. If you do want to use it, try to build it near the pump where you'll be spending most of your time (especially in blight maps).

Annointments:
They're incredibly underwhelming compared to the total stats many builds reach. Not to mention Temporal tower's annointment has a MUCH stronger buffing effect. Not worth using at all.

Smothering Tower
Weakens nearby enemies.

Radius: 55
Base - ??
Emp I - ??
Emp II - ??
Emp III - Reduces monster's elemental resistances by 20%

* Due to nature of the tower, it's nearbly impossible to deduce what does the Smothering tower actually do.
* It seems to slightly increase overall damage taken by enemies, around 15%. Unconfirmed.
* It's very likely it also works similar to Enfeeble curse. Unconfirmed.

Role: Support - Debuffing

Commentary:
With so little info i can't really tell much about this tower. I guess the Emp III tower buff can be extremely useful in map with increased elemental resistances. Should be used primarly in chokepoints to support other towers, similar to Empowering tower.

Annointments:
Every single one of them seems worth considering, but is it worth using the tower itself? We do not know.

Fire Towers

Fireball Tower
Long range tower that shoots fireballs.

Damage: Medium
Radius: 45 / 60 / 75
Projectiles: 1 / 3 / 5
Recharge (Emp): 3 / 2,5 / 2,3 / 2,15 sec

* Multiple fireballs land close each other in a line, unless using ring annointment that causes tower to shoot in nova pattern.
* Fireball tower might be able to shotgun. Unconfirmed.

Role: Damage - Single Target
Rating: 3/5

Commentary:
Hits quite hard, has long range, but can be really ineffective in general. The horizontal line pattern wastes tower's potential, as usually you'll hit only few monsters. Combined with quite long recharge time, it's underwhelming.

Annointments:
Previously mentioned "Your Fireball Towers Projectiles fire in a Nova" annointment might turn this tower into an amazing AoE tower. Any other enchantments seem worthless.

Meteor Tower
Very long range tower that summons high damage meteor from the sky.

Damage: Very High
Radius: 100
Recharge (Emp): 3 / 2,5 / 2,3 / 2,15 sec

* Meteor has a delay of 1 second before it hits the ground

Commentary:
Basically an straight upgrade of Fireball tower, with higher damage, AoE and range. Overall much more useful with extremely strong annointments too. One of most popular choices to be used as a primary damage tower. Due to it's massive range you can place it almost anywhere, but aim near the pump to help you take down bosses.

Annointments:
"Your Meteor Towers drop an additional Meteor" basically doubles the already high damage of the tower (or triples if using two ring annointments). The other one that makes meteors always stun enemies is also extremely good utility against bosses/resistant monsters.

Flamethrower Tower
Breathes a stream of fire in 90° cone over the duration, moving clockwise.

Radius: 45
Recharge (Emp): 2 / 1,65 / 1,5 / 1,4 sec
Duration (Emp): 1,75 / 1,375 / 1,25 / 1,15 sec

* Empowering tower levels also increase the length of the fire stream.

Role: Damage - AoE Clear
Rating: 4/5

Commentary:
Specialized tower for bottlenecks, around plenty of crowd control tower. It's damage can be extremely strong, but unless it's placed in a perfect spot it's mostly underwhelming compared to alternatives.

Annointments:
"Your Flamethrower Towers deal full damage to Fire Enemies" is one of the primary reasons to pick up this towers. Makes your bottlenecks strong in all situations without having to use towers of other elements. Other annointments aren't really worth it.

Cold Towers

Chilling Tower
Applies a chilling beam to nearby enemies, damaging and slowing them down.

Damage: Low
Radius: 35
Recharge: 7 sec
Duration: 4-7 sec, increased with tower level and Emp

* Additional Chill tower levels increase damage, duration, chill effect and amount of targets the tower can affect.
* Emp II extends the duration to 7 seconds for all Chilling tower levels. Emp I is enough for level 3 tower.

Role: Utility - Slowing

Commentary:
Classic slowing tower, staple element of all TD games. Used primarly for it's utility in order to make you or your towers deal more damage to incoming enemies before they're out of range. Place at chokepoints and near pump to gain some time before enemies reach the pump.

Annointments:
"Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies for 0.2 seconds while they are affected by chilling beams" is the primary thing you should look at. I don't truly know how it works, but it's very likely it equals to permanent freeze. Besides that, chilling effect should be fine too.

Freezebolt Tower
Shoots a piercing projectile which freezes enemies.

Radius: 75
Projectiles (Emp): 1 / 3 / 4 / 5
Recharge: 3 sec

* Freezebolts can pierce infinite amount of enemies.
* Freezebolt tower fires in nova pattern, think of Tornado Shot.

Role: Offensive - Single Target / AoE Clear
Rating: 1/5

Commentary:
Hits hard and has a lot of utility too. However it suffers from reliability and basically requires Emp III to be any useful (which you should build anyway). Projectiles are thin and can easily miss targets. However it can be extremely useful in blighted maps. Place at bottlenecks away from the pump, in places with highest amount of monsters.

Annointments:
"Your Freezebolt Towers fire 2 additional Projectiles" is the primary annointment. The more reliable the tower, the better. Dealing full damage to cold resistant enemies is also a must if you want to make it your primary damage turret.

Glacial Cage Tower
Creates small, circular frost wall, trapping the enemies inside.

Radius: 60
Recharge (Emp): 5,0 / 4,5 / 4,0 / 3,5 sec
Duration: 3 sec

* Glacial Cage blocks projectiles. You can pierce through it. Projectiles cannot fork or chain through them.

Role: Utility - Blocking

Commentary:
Extremely useful for stopping bosses. It shouldn't be used for anything else, as it's targetting can end up quite random. Always place it near the pump.

Annointments:
Increased duration and cooldown recovery should give you the same result you're seeking - permanent lockdown. That's the only thing this tower does.

Lightning Towers

Shock Nova Tower
Casts Shock Nova, damaging nearby enemies and leaving shocking ground.

Radius: 20 / 25 / 30
Recharge (Emp): 1,5 / 1,25 / 1,15 / 1,05 sec

* Additional Shock tower levels increase damage, chance to shock and area of effect.

Commentary:
Well rounded basic damage tower, with rapid fire and some extra damage through shock efffect to other tower. Great for chokepoints with support of crowd control towers.

Annointments:
Nearly every single one is good, but i suggest "Your Shock Nova Towers repeats 2 additional Times". It's a small damage increase that comes in a package with extra AoE. Combined with full damage to lightning resistant enemies it could potentially be used as a primary damage tower.

Arc Tower
Rapid firing tower which casts Arc, a lightning that chains to nearby enemies.

Damage: Medium
Recharge (Emp): 1,0 / 0,8 / 0,75 / 0,7 sec
Chains (Emp): 7 / 9 / 11 / 13, includes primary target

* Chain values for Emp II and III are estimated, it's very hard to count it unless you get perfect situation.
* Long chain range.

Commentary:
My personal favorite. All purpose tower with amazing clear and good single target. It doesn't really have a weakness except lightning resistant monsters. One of most popular choices to be used as a primary damage tower. Great for holding up to 3 lanes of monsters by itself. You can place it anywhere.

Annointments:
Assuming the Arc tower works similar to current skill gem version, +3 chains it absolutely the best option - giving both damage and clear. Increased damage is also a good option.

Lightning Storm Tower
Strikes lightning beams around the tower.

Damage: High
Recharge (Emp): 1,5 / 1,25 / 1,15 / 1,1

* Lightning Storm is a spell with set duration or maximum amount of lightnings before expiration.
* The more times it casts the spell, the more lightnings fall down.
* Due to the nature of the tower, it's hard to judge what limit's it.

Commentary:
A more offensive and standalone upgrade of Shock Nova. Due to semi-random nature of the turret, it's best used (but not limited) in bottlenecks before your main firepower. It will thin down enemy's numbers effectively.

Annointments:
Can't tell much about them, since i didn't exactly crack the tower itself. Explosion AoE or damage seems like a good idea to increase damage output of the turret.

Physical Towers

Seismic Tower
Creates cascades around the tower which always stun enemies.

Duration: 5 sec
Recharge: 7 sec
Repeats (Emp): 7-10 / 13-19 / 19-26, for tower levels I-III
Cascades (Emp): 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

* Seismic tower repeats multiple times over 5 second duration.
* Empowering tower levels increase amount of repeats, amount of cascades and stun duration on the enemies.

Role: Utility - Stopping

Commentary:
Undoubtly the best crowd control tower, but also very easily countered by a map mod and unwavering enemies. It only needs Emp III and a level 1 to be capable of permastunning the enemies nearby (while the tower is active). Effective range is quite small, you can upgrade tower to make it more reliable at medium distances. Spam of this tower is very strong, but also causes plenty of lag. Place at chokepoint and nearby your damaging towers.

Annointments:
This tower doesn't really need anything but "Your Seismic Towers has 100% increased length and range of Cascades". However considering the extremely low cost of the tower, i don't think it's worth investing into it.

Stone Gaze Tower
Casts a petrifying gaze, slowing and finally petrifying enemies.

Duration: 1,75 sec
Recharge (Emp): 4,0 / 3,0 / 2,5 / 2,0 sec
Petrify Duration: 5 sec

* Petrifies nearby enemies who were affected over full duration.
* Enemies affected by the tower are heavily slowed until they're petrified or are no longer affected by the tower.
* Cannot affect enemies who are currently petrified.
* Very likely has limit to how many enemies it can gaze at once, similar to Chilling tower. Unconfirmed.

Role: Utility - Stopping

Commentary:
Direct upgrade of Seismic tower. It cannot be as easily countered, but also cannot completely stop enemies and it's cost is massive. Not worth using in my opinion, unless the cheaper options (Seismic/Chill) got countered. Place at chokepoint and nearby your damaging towers.

Annointments:
Most options are good, but 20% reduced Petrification Delay is the strongest. With extremely high uptime of the tower, the only thing you need is reliability and better stopping power - that's what it does.

Temporal Tower
Periodically slows enemies in a massive area around the tower.

Recharge: 4 sec
Duration: ~2,0 / ~2,5 / ~3,0 / ~3,5 sec

* Slow decays over duration, slower curve early and steep later. Having this point in mind, it's very hard to judge the duration.
* Empowering tower levels increase strength of the slow.
* With Emp III, the slow's strength is ~100%, completely stopping enemies for a short moment.

Role: Utility - Slowing

Commentary:
Stronger, physical version of Chilling tower. Bigger range and stronger slow in bursts. Without support of Emp III it can be very underwhelming. While not as strong at stopping power as Seismic tower, it is more reliable around the edges and has less counters. With right ring annointment, it can also serves as a buffing tower. Place at chokepoint and nearby your damaging towers.

Annointments:
You have two options, make it dedicated slowing tower or a buffing tower. 20% action speed per annointment is a massive boost to damage. Ironically it is better than a dedicated buffing tower offers (Imbuing tower). However if you want to make it a slowing tower, 25% slower decay is superior choice as tower already reaches ~100% slow with help of Emp III. Bonus 25% range is also something to consider.

Minion Towers

Summoning Tower
Summons melee minions that attack and block nearby enemies from advancing.

Minion Damage: Low
Minion Life: Low

# Minions (Emp): 3-6 / 5-8 / 7-10, for tower levels I-III
Radius: 30
Recharge: 9 sec

* Can only summon minions when all previous minions are dead
* Empowering tower increases amount of minions by 1 per level
* They can be supported by player's auras.

Commentary:
Great tower to stop enemy from advancing, but shouldn't be relied upon against high numbers of enemies. Minion's damage is unnoticeable, and their life is also quite poor for holding more than few enemies. Best to use to block last few monsters who got through your primary line of defence. Place near pump or before chokepoints.

Annointments:
50% increased life of minions seems like the best deal. The only reason to use them is to block monsters, other annointments don't really offer that. 2 additional minions can be useful if you aim to create multiple low level summoning towers.

Sentinel Tower
Summons 1 durable minion that attacks and block nearby enemies from advancing.

Minion Damage: Low
Minion Life: High
# Minions: 1
Recharge: 9 sec

* Once the minion is dead, tower quickly assembles a new one.
* It can be supported by player's auras.

Commentary:
Direct upgrade of Summoning tower. Same purpose, to block enemies from advancing. It's much more durable and also assembles slightly quicker than zombies (~1 sec). Place near pump or before chokepoints.

Annointments:
Same as Summoning tower - 50% increased minion life. Nothing else is really useful.

Scout Tower
Summons 10 flying minions that attack nearby enemies.

Minion Damage: High
Minion Life: None (Invulnerable)
# Minions: 10
Radius: 75

* Unaffected by player's auras.

Commentary:
Unlike previous minion towers, this one is suited for damage. Their combined single target is quite high, but overall clearing ability is low.

Annointments:
25% increased minion damage seems like the best option, 25% increased range is also an option. You don't need life and minions rarely move.

FAQ
Q: Why some towers have no bonuses from Empowering tower?
A: Because they're not listed doesn't mean there aren't any. It can be really hard to observe some of the benefits and can be easily missed. The ones i've found were documented.

Q: What's "recharge"?
A: It's a full time between casts. It consists of cast time and recovery time (during which tower is idle).

Q: Wouldn't "+1 repeat" annointment be double the damage?
A: It will work similar to Spell Echo and Multistrike supports, repeat the cast twice. However tese supports also come with additional atttack/cast speed multipliers, finishing their actions quicker. The tower will simply do the cast twice without any big benefits to speed. However it will skip the recovery time.

Q: Where can i find list of tower's annoinment?
A: I've linked an excellent annointment browser at the beginning of the guide. Here's shortcut link, for your convenience.

Final Words
==========

While the guide / data dump is far from being complete, it shares tons of useful info that should give you a good picture of each tower. Knowing strengths and weaknesses of the towers should quickly turn you into tower defence expert.

If have any questions or want me to test something, i'll try my best to help you out. There's still a lot to do after all.

DankawSL
Sep 22, 2019 19:49:55 PM

Reserved, because i always somehow end up hitting 50k character limit.

DankawSL
Sep 22, 2019 19:50:38 PM

Very informative read. Thank you very much for putting in the effort to test all this, having good knowledge of what the towers do will likely be key for weaker builds when it comes to beating blighted maps.

I will definitely try out arc towers again, haven't really built them a lot.

I'm fairly sure that fireball towers do shotgun. Upgrading them at least once is pretty much a must, it's easily worth the cost as it makes them significantly more effective.

FCK42
Sep 22, 2019 21:13:31 PM

Wow, *clap clap* that's really sweet.

Good job, and thank you.

BloodPuddles420
Sep 22, 2019 21:19:33 PM

Thanks for the links to useful data. Much appreciated.

Arrowneous
Sep 22, 2019 22:16:58 PM

Thanks for taking the time to collect the data.

fomori2
Sep 23, 2019 03:21:47 AM

<slow clap>
Damn fine work, Exile.

DoubleU
Sep 23, 2019 03:28:06 AM

Can always appreciate a scientific study. Bravo.

Jerle
Sep 23, 2019 03:31:22 AM

Extremely useful post. This should be stickied somewhere.

Nephalim
Sep 23, 2019 03:54:00 AM

Thanks for making this.

DiabloImmoral
Sep 23, 2019 06:59:51 AM
  • Next