Forum Index Off Topic WOW classic a good thing for PoE? - Kopogero edition

History

I started WoW in 2004, POE in 2012.
I might play WoW classic, but I am an everyday PoE player.

DoubleU
Aug 28, 2019 17:59:10 PM

My bad. It read like you started in 2012. sorry.

ghamadvar
Aug 28, 2019 18:01:05 PM

No worries, I didn't make it clear.
I really really enjoyed old WoW, guilds were way better in those days (in my opinion of course).
The pace suited me much more than in later days.

DoubleU
Aug 28, 2019 18:18:36 PM

I might pick it up for a bit. However I kind of like POE more. Wow is too simplistic for my tastes. With POE I can customize a lot more of my game to fit my play style. Really the best time I had playing WOW was during the early days of Wrath of The Lich King expansion where death knights had the blood talent tree as dps instead of tanking. Vampiric aura is my favorite thing. Kind of wish POE didn't nerf leech into what it is today.

TLDR: if I pick up wow classic I'll probably burn out playing my class in a month. Game isn't complex enough.

Hornybull
Aug 28, 2019 20:21:33 PM

@ the OP

You're good matey, but not that good. You can do better than that. There is something... amiss here. You sound way too serious about your... business. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing, but in your case it is. It's like when somebody's trying to be funny, but he can't actually pull it through. Or maybe I'm not using the right example, maybe it's the other way round.

Let me try again. Imagine you're in a convention, with ladies & gentlemen from all around the globe, in suits n all, and it's your turn to make a speech. You take your place up in the podium, you straighten your tie, you clear your throat, and you make your opening statement:

"It was a moonlit night in old Mexico... (pronounced Mehico)", then you pause and take a look at your audience to see the reaction. They look quite shocked, taken by surprise, and not in a pleasant way, many already think their ears are ringing "...ey Rossita con quick...", you know imagining things like tequilas, tortillas and red hot chilly peppers down at the cantina, and then some "la la la... lalalalalalalalala... la la la la la la la la...", most of them don't believe their eyes, thinking "who is this clown, those are the lines of Speedy Gonzalez, he is NOT Gonzalez, he is a fake, booh... give us the real Speedy, booh...". Won't be long before some rotten tomatoes come flying your way.

Well, what did you expect? They, for once expected Speedy Gonzalez, not you, but what if you used Speedy instead of... you? Then all's well (and swell, as well), I guess. You need a... costume matey, and a mask, in the theatrical sense of the word, you need a character in order to play the god of games part. This is a role playing game, after all, is it not?

That is why that other god of games... persona of this here game, and forum is much more entertaining, accomplished, and convincing at that. She's supposedly a very young she, immature n all that, female Tyrannosaurus Rex in a... walrusy kinda way too. Well I really have no reason to object, though the immature... element somehow I'm not buying it. But it doesn't matter (what I think). The role is... convincing, and cute, in the weirdest way, and that is enough, that's what matters. That is also why the most succesful streamers do things like, dying their hair... blue, or faking accents and the like.

Find a role, then play it. That is what role playing is all about. Best of luck, from a true admirer. I'll send you a t-shirt sometime to sign for me.

Nizhidrhamannit
Aug 28, 2019 21:46:12 PM

"
DoubleU wrote:
No worries, I didn't make it clear.

Thx mate.

"
DoubleU wrote:
I really really enjoyed old WoW, guilds were way better in those days (in my opinion of course).
The pace suited me much more than in later days.

Yeah. I think the most important thing was the pace. Everything you did took time. Hell, even when raiding Blackwing Lair (which meant you were somehow elite), things were so slow. Farm stuff for raiding, prepare for bosses, coordinate 40 people in ts. I really loved it. The bonds between partners in crime. The cooperation needed to get a "serious" raid running. The enthusiasm needed to do pvp with people who knew what they did. Loved it so much that my studies suffered badly ;)
You had to learn the game. Really dig deep to "master" it. It was insane how much i loved this. When you got better you really felt it. Not item-wise most of the time. But by the respect you earned, the people you met when you did the more intense stuff. There were even celebrities on every server (not streamers, just really good players with a lot of knowledge and god-tier gear). And it felt great when you finally partied up with them, even if it was just for some 4 am battle at tarrens mill.

I will never forget when a High Warlord joined our TS. Sounds silly now. But back in the days it felt like a huge gaming achievement when you finally entered "those ranks" of trust and respect and teamplay. It's hard to describe. But i know why it sometimes felt like a drug...

ghamadvar
Aug 29, 2019 02:52:22 AM

"
ghamadvar wrote:
The enthusiasm needed to do pvp with people who knew what they did.

This, in particular, was what I learned to love in WoW.
Alterac Valley, was my personal fav.
I miss a really good coordinated PvP team match.

As you said, Dungeons and Raids were "worth it" due, in large part, to the preparation required.

DoubleU
Aug 29, 2019 04:26:03 AM
  • Prev