Forum Index Off Topic WOW classic a good thing for PoE? - Kopogero edition

History

Ok, it's not unless GGG responds well on any competition BUT I'll go into details about the power of "advertising" as well as the value of "information" based on how things have gone so far.

If you need the most accurate source of information you'll get it from the most experienced in whatever field you seek information about, and since I'm indeed the God of Gaming I'll go into details about many interesting things so far WOW classic has revealed, specifically about the state of the gaming industry and in a genre most I'm sure here are interested about.

Twitch over the years has became very successful as the leading platform and place for gaming and that's well deserved given their ability to recognize the value of "rewarding" gamers. Still, Twitch like any other company is vulnerable from competition as well as from self inflicted damage caused by ignorance or should I say a series of poor decisions.

Twitch is the best place to advertise your game currently by far. Many see twitch as the best place to see what is most "popular", most "interesting" that gamers are tuned into and following, and obviously where the most views are those who are making a living out of streaming will be there as well, especially if they have nothing better to stream atm.

Anyways, back on the topic. I always tell things how they are, the absolute truth. There is no BS'ing around what I say because I don't get paid to "BS" people. That's advertisers job, to lure in markets and sell them whatever they're trying to sell.

The truth is the gaming industry has devolved severely over the last decade but if anything I'll explain exactly why what I've been seeing lately is something most gamers should be very happy about, as long as they don't buy into the BS others are trying to sell em. I'm sure many have heard by now how a lot of individuals in the industry have been making serious bank out of selling promises and hype over actual products (kickstarters, Star Citizen, etc. member?). Selling dreams is indeed great way to scam people, well naive ones to be specific, and then there is the pay to win/advantage stores and loot boxes.

Today though things are much different and a lot has to do because of all the lessons over the decade, which is why what we will be getting in 2020-2022 will be better than anything we've had in nearly a decade.

What you're seeing what's happening right now with WOW classic are two things, one players are indeed desperate for a good multiplayer game, and two the power of advertising and how many are "buying" it. WOW classic is anything BUT a good game, and the reason why it has bloated twitch numbers it's because for over a decade those who've been making serious $ out of WOW is in their best interest that to continue so they're doing the best to "advertise" and "promote" WOW classic, including Blizzard and if indeed you want us to keep seeing more of what's been happening over the last decade go ahead and support WOW.

The biggest insult is Blizzard charging a sub for something the WOW community has already paid, and paid A LOT but hey Blizzard's reputation has a lot today why its where it is, as well as their stock value. Look at "Method" as example. I've known that guild for many years cause it started with World of Warcraft, and now it's paying non WOW popular streamers to stream/promote WOW classic, and that's just one example.

Finally, for the rest about my relationship/experience with WOW all I have to do is give you one link, a simple thread I opened yesterday hours before the WOW classic launch. If anywhere the place where tons of WOW classic fanboys are stationed is where I could get some useful info or be proven wrong about my sum up of what WOW classic is and more importantly for what market is aimed for, and yes after the response, you'll understand why the "God of Gaming" is indeed on point like always, which is why I will be here on Blight launch and NOT be playing WOW Classic.

Honestly, the only good reason I can think anyone would have to deal with the abysmal levelling process ti 60 right now is if:

1) They are being paid/sponsored to do it or they simply have to stream something that's currently trending as they have nothing interesting or better to stream and enjoy atm out of gaming.
2) They are bored out of their mind and need to GAME anything rather than nothing, to have a backup filler game with somewhat levelled character when WOW won't be in the WOW classic state for rainy and dark days as right now, which I doubt there will be given of all what's coming including and hopefully from PoE.

To be honest only someone like me could be playing/enjoying WOW classic, someone who can literally find the joy and value out of literally any game that exists, as I'm as you know one of the most avid gamers, someone who is so burned out of single player games as I've completed more than most, which is why when I got my PC in 2001 I never bought another console, enjoying FPS/RTS/MMO's, mainly, and with my infinite free time I've already seen all the great, good/decent tv series and movies, and then the game is completely free like PoE, speaking about PoE I do hope in the upcoming patch and overall the way they handle Blight will be far more rewarding, engaging and challenging (at least in the appropriate league), given the feedback from the community, and better in 3.8 than 3.9 or beyond as they indeed can do that. Anyways, you are welcome...

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/why-would-anyone-ask-for-wow-classic/268595

Twitch_Kopogero
Aug 27, 2019 22:22:33 PM

It would be a great thing if we never heard about it again.

Shagsbeard
Aug 27, 2019 22:42:31 PM

Not sure about whole PoE competing with WoW classic. However Im happy for one thing. Relaunch of WoW classic has shown us how dead MMORPG "market" was in last couple years. The relaunch of15 years old MMORPG has gathered literally milions of players. No other MMORPG could even get close to such numbers. People are that desperate to play actual good MMORPG. I just hope that it will make someone out there think "man, it might be good idea to make MMORPG, people rally want to play this genre!" and in near future we will see more MMORPGs coming out.
For now, I will wait for two games that are still far aqay from getting released (even tho one was annouced 7 years ago).

Aynix
Aug 27, 2019 22:46:48 PM

Played WoW for 7 years, been here for 7 years.
Guess what I am not playing?

DoubleU
Aug 27, 2019 23:14:43 PM

"
Aynix wrote:
Not sure about whole PoE competing with WoW classic. However Im happy for one thing. Relaunch of WoW classic has shown us how dead MMORPG "market" was in last couple years. The relaunch of15 years old MMORPG has gathered literally milions of players. No other MMORPG could even get close to such numbers. People are that desperate to play actual good MMORPG. I just hope that it will make someone out there think "man, it might be good idea to make MMORPG, people rally want to play this genre!" and in near future we will see more MMORPGs coming out.
For now, I will wait for two games that are still far aqay from getting released (even tho one was annouced 7 years ago).

it's because WoW really is the only good MMO, unless you want to talk the likes of Runescape which has its own place and is also currently very successful (oldschool anyway). Just shows how many dumb decisions more than one developer made over the years.

I mean think about it, so many WoW clones, how many exist today? Elder Scrolls Online stands on its own alright. It has skill trees, complicated gearing systems, really good side quests (for an MMO) and, more or less, feels like elder scrolls.

Final Fantasy 14 is the redemption any failed game dreams of, but one I'm convinced only the Japanese are capable of. They came out and said they screwed up and will fix it. Blizzard will never say that. It still feels like a WoW clone, but also a "they planned this out perfectly on a spreadsheet so nothing is annoying" WoW clone.

Then you get the forgotten or pay to win games. Guild Wars, Firefall, Black Desert Online, Wildstar, Star Wars Galaxies. F for some of them, but most failures were the result of stupid developer decisions that can only boggle the mind of reasonable people. Power of any kind is a pretty bad drug

Imaginaerum
Aug 27, 2019 23:23:10 PM

vio
Aug 27, 2019 23:34:27 PM

looks like the launch was a complete cluster fuck. Imagine lines to do quests...

With today's virtual server tech there is no excuse.

Typical blizzard.

For good or bad im sticking to POE... Nothing else out there like it.

NS

Nightstone13
Aug 28, 2019 01:32:02 AM

Read all of it. Even the post in the blizzard forum.
I enjoy your honest opinion, I really do. With that being said however, I feel like you have played too many games and are out of touch with what people desire from games like wow classic or even poe. I never played WoW myself, however I played all these old-school games back then in the early and late 2000s and what I miss the most in todays games is simply the fun. Just having fun playing the most stupid game, doing the most irrational things and just wasting time. Simply because this is something many people miss in today's lifestyle. There is the german world "Entschleunigung" which means "to slow things down, relax, take it easy" and I think WoW classic is exactly that. Is it a game I would play for a year, theory craft on weeks before release or neglect my RL for? probably not. Is it something that I can enjoy a couple of months with just grinding, doing stupid things and getting that nostalgic feeling? hell yeah. It is not going to oppose a treat to poe if that is what you fear. But I have the feeling you entirely miss the point of a game like WoW classic and its right for existence in nowadays gaming business. It does provide lots of value, probably only short-term but who knows what' gonna happen. At least blizzard now brought attention to his biggest cashcow.

Dontfear
Aug 28, 2019 01:48:42 AM

I want to see how classic will do after the first month.

meanwhile the world can enjoy queue simulator for all that I care.

Xystre
Aug 28, 2019 02:09:01 AM

"
DoubleU wrote:
Played WoW for 7 years, been here for 7 years.
Guess what I am not playing?

WoW vanilla, which you never played in the first place when you started WoW in 2012?

ghamadvar
Aug 28, 2019 16:28:24 PM
  • Next