Forum Index General Discussion I still don't understand why they're making changes to mines.

History

"
xtesterx wrote:
Mines only feel clunky when you don't use shift to drop the mines where your character currently is.

I really hope that they will give us an option to either throw mine or lay mine and that mine laying will work without shift clicking.


you can force skills to "always use shift". click on a skill icon yon your bar and set it there. dont think anyone has had issues with shift related stuff since that feature came in.

teksuoPOE
Aug 25, 2019 18:40:45 PM

"
NexiieQT wrote:
Saying mine is underplayed is also quite disingenuous. Like half of saboteur in Legion played miner. If you want to compare mine with everything else, well it's a cyclone league. Every skill other than cyclone, tornado shot and essence drain are not meta, why single mine out? Mine had a nice niche of being a cheap but effective boss killer. I really don't know if it really needs changes, I just hope GGG knows what they're doing.



I was gonna say you were wrong but poe ninja does show that mine are actually used more than traps. They're both heavily under used so now I am kind of curious why they singled mine out. I guess there was a trap buff not that long ago and miners kind of went by without attention.

yamface
Aug 25, 2019 18:57:10 PM

"
yamface wrote:
I was gonna say you were wrong but poe ninja does show that mine are actually used more than traps. They're both heavily under used so now I am kind of curious why they singled mine out. I guess there was a trap buff not that long ago and miners kind of went by without attention.


where do you see this?

when i look at poe.ninja for builds, it only shows between levels 97-100 and it shows 0.8% as saboteur, which in total is 114 characters.
from that it says 35% of the main skill is lightning trap, 18% is vaal lightning trap, 11% is lightning spire trap.

then it says 55% is mine and 42% is trap.....somehow.
so 64% of the main skills are traps, but 55% of the builds are mines. and even so thats only 63 builds in total from the only viewable builds between lvl 97 to 100.

not exactly accurately representative information, in my opinion. lol

xMustard
Aug 25, 2019 19:19:42 PM

"
xMustard wrote:
"
yamface wrote:
I was gonna say you were wrong but poe ninja does show that mine are actually used more than traps. They're both heavily under used so now I am kind of curious why they singled mine out. I guess there was a trap buff not that long ago and miners kind of went by without attention.


where do you see this?

when i look at poe.ninja for builds, it only shows between levels 97-100 and it shows 0.8% as saboteur, which in total is 114 characters.
from that it says 35% of the main skill is lightning trap, 18% is vaal lightning trap, 11% is lightning spire trap.

then it says 55% is mine and 42% is trap.....somehow.
so 64% of the main skills are traps, but 55% of the builds are mines. and even so thats only 63 builds in total from the only viewable builds between lvl 97 to 100.

not exactly accurately representative information, in my opinion. lol


The top skills are traps but stuff like mines isn't shown because most mine builds are just regular skills that have a mine support gem linked to it. If you add up all the smaller ones like glacial cascade, fireball, ice spear, etc, mine usage should add up higher than traps.

But yea... there's only like ~100 people total playing traps and mines combined.

yamface
Aug 25, 2019 19:34:27 PM

"
yamface wrote:
The top skills are traps but stuff like mines isn't shown because most mine builds are just regular skills that have a mine support gem linked to it. If you add up all the smaller ones like glacial cascade, fireball, ice spear, etc, mine usage should add up higher than traps.

But yea... there's only like ~100 people total playing traps and mines combined.


ya i know, but lets add it up. lets also assume anything without trap in its name is being done as mines (not necessarily the case. im playing toxic rain trap myself).

trap: 66%
mine: 75.6%
141.6%. interesting
again, probably quite a bit lower than 75.6 considering that includes purifying flame (most likely just on CWDT) and those skills could still be used as traps.

and then yeah we realize these numbers are only for those lvl 97+ so its completely irrelevant information!! lol

xMustard
Aug 25, 2019 19:46:09 PM

cause mines were trash tier...
1 second to arm 1 second to place. . . Then deal damage that you cannot target...

there was a reason less than 1% of the player base used the un-Intuitive and horrible to use mechanic

shadopaw
Aug 25, 2019 21:40:11 PM

I agree that mines were clunky on how we had to deploy and detonate and hopefully the changes will make them as easy as traps to use and thus more players will make builds around them.

Remember, a mine is a terrible thing to waste.

Arrowneous
Aug 25, 2019 22:05:54 PM

Simple answer: Because using mines on console was considered extra clunky.

arknath
Aug 26, 2019 02:25:37 AM

"
arknath wrote:
Simple answer: Because using mines on console was considered extra clunky.


This. I feel everyhing they do mechanically wise is to appeal to console users, this should have been a PC only game...

nibas
Aug 26, 2019 08:45:56 AM

"
xMustard wrote:
it isn't about how you place mines at your feet, its THAT you place mines at your feet. (for most people)


Which is exactly what land mines are. THIS is the problem. That sort of thing has absolutely no functioning place in where PoE is now.

For me the question is are they still mines by definition if you don't have to place them at your feet? If you can throw them in rapid succession...

Hypothetical question: of course they're bloody not, but since when has something as irrelevant as the English language stopped TencentGGG from doing what they want to words?

"So how do we make mines less underplayed? Easy: make them something completely different to mines (hand grenades, if anything), but keep calling them 'mines' so it looks like we've fixed a playstyle that players said we couldn't. Ha, we sure showed them!"

I can't believe people keep falling for this. When TencentGGG make 'melee' a ranged style but keep the melee tag, or turn mines into hand grenades, they aren't fixing fucking squat. They're just playing very fast and loose with definitions, swapping the labels around, and hoping no one notices. It's a shameful sleight-of-hand and insults the players' intelligence. THESE ABOMINATIONS ARE NOT MINES. Mines haven't been 'fixed'; they've been completely stripped of anything that makes them fucking 'mines' in the first fucking place.

Congrats, Chris. You finally found a way to reference 'strip mine' in the game.

#NotMine

鬼殺し
Aug 26, 2019 09:24:41 AM
  • Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Next