Forum Index General Discussion So Diablo IV at Blizzcon this year(Chris interview)?

History

"
ffogell wrote:
Dont forget guys Blizzard was making game when Chris Wilson was still wearing pull-ups.


The quality/stability and support of their games is still way ahead of what GGG can pull out...

Dont underestimate them , we could be surprised.


Don't forget, those guys split a long time ago.

DS_Deadman
Aug 27, 2019 03:59:02 AM

D3 has no way to retain players for more than a week unless those that really, really love the game.

I wont deny that stability and quality wise activision-blizzard has the high ground over tencentggg

but people here love to ignore some things for their own sake but tencentggg is making fun of activision-blizzard ever since the announce of D:I.. blight is just another thing to add to the list along with "game to be played forever" guy when he said "we're waiting for some competition"

Xystre
Aug 27, 2019 04:39:00 AM

"
Xystre wrote:
D3 has no way to retain players for more than a week unless those that really, really love the game.

I wont deny that stability and quality wise activision-blizzard has the high ground over tencentggg

but people here love to ignore some things for their own sake but tencentggg is making fun of activision-blizzard ever since the announce of D:I.. blight is just another thing to add to the list along with "game to be played forever" guy when he said "we're waiting for some competition"

Contentwise D3 has been abandoned for years, however if D3 still has 1 redeeming quality that makes players return every season it is the engine, i.e how great and smooth the combat feels.

The issue with PoE(And hopefully 4.0 will improve greatly upon this) is the fact that the engine is old, very old, ancient as a matter of fact. PoE needs an engine overhaul urgent. Why?

Because it is likely that D4 whenever we see it is going to be A) technically superior to the already formidable D3 engine & if the rumours are to be believed(The Jason Screier article, The Past, Present, And Future Of Diablo) that D4 engine will this time be supported by '' dark and modern Diablo II inspired'' graphics. In other words No more D3 ''cartoony''.

If true, that by itself is a huge threat already, now B) when it comes to gameplay. People have been complaining for years in their forums(and still are, although in a more constructive manner today). Blizzard may no longer have the visionaries of the past ''North studios'' but if they still do one thing it is to obvserve their competition, the success of Path of exile has likely not gone unnoticed neither has all the complains regarding the superiority of the Diablo 2 itemization etc.

The fact that D3 got abandoned so early in its lifecycle may also strongly indicate that their next game in the series will be totally different. How different remains to be seen.

For this reason alone the ''rumours'' needs to be taken seriously, which obviously Chris does(a good thing). PoE has lots of content and is based on a frequent update model to keep it relevant, but if D4 raises the bar too high Technically and at the same time provides decent enough arpg-ish gameplay, it could spell doom and disaster for PoE.

It may also be that Blizzard wants to replace WoW that is on life support(despite ''Classic'' release)and is looking at D4 to do it, therefore monetize it in ways of frequent content updates as it wont have a monthly fee unless it is a full-fledged MMO, e.g ''World of Sanctuary''. Regardless GGG shouldn't solely rely upon their frequent content update model to retain the players and needs to step up considerably on the Technical side.

This analysis could of course be totally off, D4 just another console, casual game, but all the ''silence'' from Blizzard in recent years should not be underestimated as nothing is happening, personally i think the Jason Schreier article makes sense, although i'm far from convinced D4 will be revealed at this years Blizzcon.

wierdzodi
Aug 27, 2019 08:27:52 AM

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Please do elaborate on how pre-orders are any different from day 1-3 purchases?


Because media/critics will have access to most game before those 1-3 days.



Well you have to filter the facts and avoid the authour's bias if present, I'd guess any adult can do that. They DO have more information about the game than anyone at that point. Combine that with early gameplay vids or even part 1 walkthroughs on youtube and you can crystallize an opinion.

Pro-tier: Stalk the games' sub reddit/ official forum for the vocal minority that beta tests it for 12 hours straight. Any shit that comes up will be there trust me.


Back to topic: we were pretty much spoiled by GGG on the content side, that's their top strength. Diablo 3 could not compete with that, not with their buy one time thing, then add minimal content (because they DID add content, two new areas with a blood temple and some misty moors with werewolfs, I dug the artwork). If that does not change in D4, if they don't spoil us with content, the core target audience of PoE will never be swayed.

pr13st
Aug 27, 2019 08:37:43 AM

"
pr13st wrote:
Well you have to filter the facts and avoid the authour's bias if present, I'd guess any adult can do that. They DO have more information about the game than anyone at that point. Combine that with early gameplay vids or even part 1 walkthroughs on youtube and you can crystallize an opinion.

Pro-tier: Stalk the games' sub reddit/ official forum for the vocal minority that beta tests it for 12 hours straight. Any shit that comes up will be there trust me.


As I said in my last post; it's not just about media or critics, but to "smell" the internet and find out if the game is good, stable and what you expected - as you touch upon. But I guess I'm just old school or something; I wouldn't buy a headset without reading tests. I wouldn't buy a car without reading tests. And I certainly not buy a AAA game without doing some background. Maybe I'm not cheap :P

Phrazz
Aug 27, 2019 08:46:33 AM

"
pr13st wrote:
Back to topic: we were pretty much spoiled by GGG on the content side, that's their top strength. Diablo 3 could not compete with that, not with their buy one time thing, then add minimal content (because they DID add content, two new areas with a blood temple and some misty moors with werewolfs, I dug the artwork). If that does not change in D4, if they don't spoil us with content, the core target audience of PoE will never be swayed.

We'll see what model D4 embraces, but just regularly content updates will not save PoE in the upcoming battle if D4 proves to be the better game.

I therefore have to disagree, it isn't just about quantity or new fresh things to try out, but more importantly how solid the core is. Diablo II for example had no updates after LoD but remained popular for many years after, even today its special atmosphere has imho not been surpassed.

We really don't know anything about D4 but a fair assessment is that they will try to monetize the hell out of it and keep it relevant vs their competitors. WoW is no longer their safe haven(as back when D3 was released) and they are likely painfully aware of this fact.

wierdzodi
Aug 27, 2019 09:22:41 AM

When D1 comes out it was the best arpg until D2.

Between D3 and D2; D2 was the best arpg in the market.

Now problem is : best arpg in the market(PoE) is not a Blizzard game.

This is the first time that Blizzard have to beat another game.

For the arpg market, rts(star craft) or mmorpg(wow) market that has never happened before.

Only happened in moba market.

There were two games that Blizzard had to beat. (LoL and Dota 2). Blizzard couldnt beat these games with Heroes of the Storm.

I think Blizzard can not beat PoE 4.0.

If d4 and poe 4 is released in the same time, may be for the first 1-2 months D4 can be a winner but in the long term Poe will beat D4.

pphnx
Aug 27, 2019 10:14:02 AM

"
wierdzodi wrote:

Diablo II for example had no updates after LoD but remained popular for many years after, even today its special atmosphere has imho not been surpassed.

We really don't know anything about D4 but a fair assessment is that they will try to monetize the hell out of it and keep it relevant vs their competitors. WoW is no longer their safe haven(as back when D3 was released) and they are likely painfully aware of this fact.


Diablo 2 has a special place in my heart, hell alongside diablo 1 even, but I tried that new median xl mod and.. well.. it hasn't aged all that well.

Nostalgia wise diablo 2 is better, but objectively speaking PoE is the better game. Now.

Have to agree on the monetization for D4, I have a feeling we'll see a monthly subscription of some sort which would be a downer for me, remains to be seen. In any case, I will be giving D4 the benefit of doubt but with great caution. I have been burned before, you know.

pr13st
Aug 27, 2019 10:21:17 AM

Might as well cross the line: I actually think a World of Diablo would be the best thing for Actiblizz atm.

They have Classic (which in many ways are closer to D2 than D3 is now) to use as guidelines and it is the big drum they need.

GGG will say, thank you for letting us be #1 in this genre, which Actiblizz obviously do not want but playing the big drum, and later in the future make a big turnback is the way I would go.

cvurlenw
Aug 28, 2019 15:11:28 PM

"
pr13st wrote:
Have to agree on the monetization for D4, I have a feeling we'll see a monthly subscription of some sort which would be a downer for me, remains to be seen. In any case, I will be giving D4 the benefit of doubt but with great caution. I have been burned before, you know.


"
cvurlenw wrote:
Might as well cross the line: I actually think a World of Diablo would be the best thing for Actiblizz atm.

They have Classic (which in many ways are closer to D2 than D3 is now) to use as guidelines and it is the big drum they need.

GGG will say, thank you for letting us be #1 in this genre, which Actiblizz obviously do not want but playing the big drum, and later in the future make a big turnback is the way I would go.

I think eventually we might see a ''World of Sanctuary''(Diablo) MMO. But honestly i don't see them use the Diablo IV name for it. I do however believe D4 will have a stronger focus on player interaction than D3(Trade, PvP from the get go) and city hubs similar to Path of exile.

A small update. According to Diablo ii.net an ''insider source'' has claimed that Diablo IV will be revealed at this Years Blizzcon through a cinematic only, apparently no gameplay will be shown.

https://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/whats-in-store-for-diablo-at-blizzcon-2019-diablo-4-apparently#more-390330

P.S. If true, earliest 2022(2023 more likely) release imo. PoE 5.0 could be ready by then.

wierdzodi
Aug 28, 2019 18:11:39 PM
  • Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 19
  • 20
  • Next