Forum Index General Discussion Who Else Loves PoE But Wont Support Tencent?

History

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
bwam wrote:
"
Mythreindeer wrote:
Well, the way the post was worded someone losing seemed implied but perhaps I was wrong there.

Oh, Charan was probably implying it. But whether or not he owns up to that is another question.

FFS which part of 'I'm a busy man' is lost on you people? And now you want me to explain the bloody obvious? Just how heartless are you?

FINE. Just this once, and only because I still think 'mythreindeer' is an incredible name, although I'm starting to suspect it was a fluke more than a sign of sustained brilliance.

They won: I tried to be righteous when GGG sold out to one of the most insidious megacorps in the world but frankly if you start down that path, you very quickly run out of all sorts of good things because yeah Amazon also an evil megacorp but damn I love Prime Video and Facebook is evil but oh so convenient for us Gen Xers who type too much for twitter and on and on it goes.

I'd refer you to the TV show The Good Place for a perfectly excellent explanation for why 'being good' is so much harder now that the world is so much more complicated, but that's only if you're the sort of gamer who does anything other than game.

Anyway, they won. They're evil and soulless and they get our money because it's still money well-spent based on one's interests and the flow of wealth is so abstracted there's no legitimate connection between me buying this support pack and Tencent getting more money to play The Sims with China. There's a whole company in New Zealand getting in the way of that, full of hard-working developers, artists, sound guys, PR, coders and so on. I'm happy to pay them for mtxes or GGGold if that's what I want. As I noted above, if you're going to get righteous over this, you need to do the same over everything else you consume, and I can guarantee most of the money you spend ends up very much in a machine you don't want to support.

But by all means, have your little boycott here, your petite crusade. Just don't kid yourself into thinking it makes any difference. The only thing that's changed is you, from a supporter to a freeloader. If the outcome of the protest is futile, the reason is functionally irrelevant. Then again, maybe if the reason is sufficiently justified, the outcome will follow suit.

But sufficient justification wouldn't result in a forum post. It would lead to much more...active protestation. And by that logic, if it hasn't, maybe the justification isn't sufficient after all.

Which is all to say: you're either just seeking attention, bwam, or you're lazy. Or both, given how low-effort the original post was.

I think you are both right. I didn't watch DC or Sony superhero movies (outside of the 2 new Spiderman movies). I think it kinda did make a difference, because the Marvel movies grew a lot better. Same with the people who did not vote for Hillary Clinton. If enough people do it, it does make a difference, but it may not always seem like that.

LilyKittens4
Aug 23, 2019 06:05:03 AM

"
LilyKittens4 wrote:
I think you are both right. I didn't watch DC or Sony superhero movies (outside of the 2 new Spiderman movies). I think it kinda did make a difference, because the Marvel movies grew a lot better. Same with the people who did not vote for Hillary Clinton. If enough people do it, it does make a difference, but it may not always seem like that.

:) this guy

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 06:07:17 AM

"
bwam wrote:
"
LilyKittens4 wrote:

:) this guy

Politics are such a waste of time

ZACHWILDCAT
Aug 23, 2019 06:25:02 AM

I don't care about that one bit.
If they make good content and I think an mtx looks cool, or a tab is useful, I'll buy it. I don't consider it a donation but rather a purchase, which it is.

Fapmobile
Aug 23, 2019 06:46:35 AM

"
bwam wrote:
"
Jerle wrote:
Couldn’t have said it better myself. People need a dose of reality.

*Eyeroll*

Charan... if you want to see someone who's lazy... this guy "Jerle" here can't even bother to elocute on his own behalf.

I speak with my wallet. And last checked, it speaks way louder than yours.

Jerle
Aug 23, 2019 07:04:22 AM

"
Jerle wrote:
I speak with my wallet. And last checked, it speaks way louder than yours.

OHHH.

THAT'S WHY it sounds like you're speaking out of your butt. (You keep your wallet in your butt pocket, right?)

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 09:21:04 AM

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
bwam wrote:
"
Mythreindeer wrote:
Well, the way the post was worded someone losing seemed implied but perhaps I was wrong there.

Oh, Charan was probably implying it. But whether or not he owns up to that is another question.

FFS which part of 'I'm a busy man' is lost on you people? And now you want me to explain the bloody obvious? Just how heartless are you?

FINE. Just this once, and only because I still think 'mythreindeer' is an incredible name, although I'm starting to suspect it was a fluke more than a sign of sustained brilliance.

They won: I tried to be righteous when GGG sold out to one of the most insidious megacorps in the world but frankly if you start down that path, you very quickly run out of all sorts of good things because yeah Amazon also an evil megacorp but damn I love Prime Video and Facebook is evil but oh so convenient for us Gen Xers who type too much for twitter and on and on it goes.

I'd refer you to the TV show The Good Place for a perfectly excellent explanation for why 'being good' is so much harder now that the world is so much more complicated, but that's only if you're the sort of gamer who does anything other than game.

Anyway, they won. They're evil and soulless and they get our money because it's still money well-spent based on one's interests and the flow of wealth is so abstracted there's no legitimate connection between me buying this support pack and Tencent getting more money to play The Sims with China. There's a whole company in New Zealand getting in the way of that, full of hard-working developers, artists, sound guys, PR, coders and so on. I'm happy to pay them for mtxes or GGGold if that's what I want. As I noted above, if you're going to get righteous over this, you need to do the same over everything else you consume, and I can guarantee most of the money you spend ends up very much in a machine you don't want to support.

But by all means, have your little boycott here, your petite crusade. Just don't kid yourself into thinking it makes any difference. The only thing that's changed is you, from a supporter to a freeloader. If the outcome of the protest is futile, the reason is functionally irrelevant. Then again, maybe if the reason is sufficiently justified, the outcome will follow suit.

But sufficient justification wouldn't result in a forum post. It would lead to much more...active protestation. And by that logic, if it hasn't, maybe the justification isn't sufficient after all.

Which is all to say: you're either just seeking attention, bwam, or you're lazy. Or both, given how low-effort the original post was.

I came out of hiding just to applaud this post. Well said, mate.

/ElvenCloak

Xavathos
Aug 23, 2019 09:41:44 AM

We're all here posting on the comments board of a video game which, presumably, we all enjoy playing, or none of this would matter.

If everyone who played the game had the same attitude as the OP, how long do you think it would take TenCent to pull the game entirely, since there would be NO revenue flow to justify maintaining the servers, let alone adding new content to the game?

I have no beef with anyone who chooses, for whatever reason, not to do business with TenCent/GGG. But let's remember that money keeps the Gears Grinding. ='[.]'=

Raycheetah
Aug 23, 2019 10:16:11 AM

My 60 bucks won't make a difference. Alone. Ten thousand people decide against spending and they notice a blip in the lower digits. A million deciding against spending money and they'll have a revenue drop. It's a numbers game. But sure, give up, consume, abandon all semblance of control. The perfect slave doesn't need chains.

Mythabril
Aug 23, 2019 10:21:46 AM

As long as tencent don't mess with Chris and the staff @ GGG on producing more GOOD leagues with Path of Exile (excluding synthesis and blight). This game will always get 60 usd from me every month.

TheRoyalShu
Aug 23, 2019 10:32:55 AM
  • Prev
  • Next