Forum Index General Discussion Who Else Loves PoE But Wont Support Tencent?

History

"
Mythreindeer wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I buy packs now if I like what I see. And GGGold is typically better value when it's in a supporter pack.

*shrug* I no longer do it to support GGG but to enhance my personal experience of their game. But no one at TencentGGG gives a squeaky queef why we support, only that we do or don't, so it doesn't matter.

They won.

What did they win?

And who lost?

Hehe. I'd +1 except for the zero-sum assumption.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 03:53:24 AM

"
Blah, blah...

Sadly, since I'm ahead of most humans given the time I've dedicated through the decades to consume as much entertainment now I find myself in need of more and better quality than ever...

blah, blah..

More importantly, I do intend to live a long life filled with pleasures and entertainment and then in my retirement years I can look back and do what I believe I should so the next generations can have even a better life than I ever could, solving one problem at a time based on my life experience, and then Charen's children can write books about me, that is if they follow in his footsteps :).

I thank you for your heightened view of self and yet your selflessness at the same time.

Truly a more magnaminous human I have not met.

Mythreindeer
Aug 23, 2019 03:54:10 AM

"
bwam wrote:
"
Mythreindeer wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I buy packs now if I like what I see. And GGGold is typically better value when it's in a supporter pack.

*shrug* I no longer do it to support GGG but to enhance my personal experience of their game. But no one at TencentGGG gives a squeaky queef why we support, only that we do or don't, so it doesn't matter.

They won.

What did they win?

And who lost?

Hehe. I'd +1 except for the zero-sum assumption.

Well, the way the post was worded someone losing seemed implied but perhaps I was wrong there.

Mythreindeer
Aug 23, 2019 03:55:38 AM

"
Mythreindeer wrote:
Well, the way the post was worded someone losing seemed implied but perhaps I was wrong there.

Oh, Charan was probably implying it. But whether or not he owns up to that is another question.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 04:08:52 AM

"
bwam wrote:
"
Mythreindeer wrote:

Oh, Charan was probably implying it. But whether or not he owns up to that is another question.

FFS which part of 'I'm a busy man' is lost on you people? And now you want me to explain the bloody obvious? Just how heartless are you?

FINE. Just this once, and only because I still think 'mythreindeer' is an incredible name, although I'm starting to suspect it was a fluke more than a sign of sustained brilliance.

They won: I tried to be righteous when GGG sold out to one of the most insidious megacorps in the world but frankly if you start down that path, you very quickly run out of all sorts of good things because yeah Amazon also an evil megacorp but damn I love Prime Video and Facebook is evil but oh so convenient for us Gen Xers who type too much for twitter and on and on it goes.

I'd refer you to the TV show The Good Place for a perfectly excellent explanation for why 'being good' is so much harder now that the world is so much more complicated, but that's only if you're the sort of gamer who does anything other than game.

Anyway, they won. They're evil and soulless and they get our money because it's still money well-spent based on one's interests and the flow of wealth is so abstracted there's no legitimate connection between me buying this support pack and Tencent getting more money to play The Sims with China. There's a whole company in New Zealand getting in the way of that, full of hard-working developers, artists, sound guys, PR, coders and so on. I'm happy to pay them for mtxes or GGGold if that's what I want. As I noted above, if you're going to get righteous over this, you need to do the same over everything else you consume, and I can guarantee most of the money you spend ends up very much in a machine you don't want to support.

But by all means, have your little boycott here, your petite crusade. Just don't kid yourself into thinking it makes any difference. The only thing that's changed is you, from a supporter to a freeloader. If the outcome of the protest is futile, the reason is functionally irrelevant. Then again, maybe if the reason is sufficiently justified, the outcome will follow suit.

But sufficient justification wouldn't result in a forum post. It would lead to much more...active protestation. And by that logic, if it hasn't, maybe the justification isn't sufficient after all.

Which is all to say: you're either just seeking attention, bwam, or you're lazy. Or both, given how low-effort the original post was.

鬼殺し
Aug 23, 2019 04:57:21 AM

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
bwam wrote:
"
Mythreindeer wrote:

FFS which part of 'I'm a busy man' is lost on you people? And now you want me to explain the bloody obvious? Just how heartless are you?

FINE. Just this once, and only because I still think 'mythreindeer' is an incredible name, although I'm starting to suspect it was a fluke more than a sign of sustained brilliance.

They won: I tried to be righteous when GGG sold out to one of the most insidious megacorps in the world but frankly if you start down that path, you very quickly run out of all sorts of good things because yeah Amazon also an evil megacorp but damn I love Prime Video and Facebook is evil but oh so convenient for us Gen Xers who type too much for twitter and on and on it goes.

I'd refer you to the TV show The Good Place for a perfectly excellent explanation for why 'being good' is so much harder now that the world is so much more complicated, but that's only if you're the sort of gamer who does anything other than game.

Anyway, they won. They're evil and soulless and they get our money because it's still money well-spent based on one's interests and the flow of wealth is so abstracted there's no legitimate connection between me buying this support pack and Tencent getting more money to play The Sims with China. There's a whole company in New Zealand getting in the way of that, full of hard-working developers, artists, sound guys, PR, coders and so on. I'm happy to pay them for mtxes or GGGold if that's what I want. As I noted above, if you're going to get righteous over this, you need to do the same over everything else you consume, and I can guarantee most of the money you spend ends up very much in a machine you don't want to support.

But by all means, have your little boycott here, your petite crusade. Just don't kid yourself into thinking it makes any difference. The only thing that's changed is you, from a supporter to a freeloader. If the outcome of the protest is futile, the reason is functionally irrelevant. Then again, maybe if the reason is sufficiently justified, the outcome will follow suit.

But sufficient justification wouldn't result in a forum post. It would lead to much more...active protestation. And by that logic, if it hasn't, maybe the justification isn't sufficient after all.

Which is all to say: you're either just seeking attention, bwam, or you're lazy. Or both, given how low-effort the original post was.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. People need a dose of reality.

Jerle
Aug 23, 2019 05:11:50 AM

"
鬼殺し wrote:

- I don't use Facebook.
- As for Amazon, I don't think Amazon is evil; it's just a market. Plus Amazon responded to political pressure and raised its minimum wage to $15/hr.

Also, your logic is terrible. "You might as well give in, because it's inevitable that any discernment in regards to purchasing decisions will be moot, given the slew of unscrupulous actors you will inevitably have to patronize at some point."

And you call ME lazy? That's so intellectually lazy I'm almost offended you'd have the gall to point fingers at me. (Almost :P.)

"
鬼殺し wrote:

Just 'cause you think it's impossible to be righteous (with how you spend your money, too) doesn't mean that it is. Nor does it mean that everyone has to fall down to your level of "Oh well, might as well give up."

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 05:54:13 AM

"
Jerle wrote:
Couldn’t have said it better myself. People need a dose of reality.

*Eyeroll*

Charan... if you want to see someone who's lazy... this guy "Jerle" here can't even bother to elocute on his own behalf.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 05:56:45 AM

Apparently 'and so on' confused you. I shouldn't be surprised.

And yeah, I'm intellectually lazy about this (albeit verbosely) because I'd rather be intellectually rigorous about something that matters, somewhere that matters, with someone who matters.

And you know as well as I do that I'm fully capable of that. I'm deigning here, but now I'm done.

鬼殺し
Aug 23, 2019 06:00:04 AM

"
鬼殺し wrote:
They won: I tried to be righteous when GGG sold out to one of the most insidious megacorps in the world but frankly if you start down that path, you very quickly run out of all sorts of good things...

LOL

Wait. So basically.

"I thought it would be righteous not to support PoE after GGG sold out to Tencent without consulting any supporters...

... but MTXes are so shiny! And Amazon. And Facebook. So, since Amazon and Facebook and other things... And since clearly impossible to be righteous... I BUY SHINY MTX!"

Weakkk

Edit: I mean, basically it came down to this:
- You took a moral position.
- You couldn't stick to it, so you justified it.
- You'd have been better off not taking that position in the first place.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 06:02:35 AM
  • Prev
  • Next