Forum Index General Discussion Who Else Loves PoE But Wont Support Tencent?

History

I miss the pre-console days, where I felt like "we" were the underdogs...

Like supporting meant something...

Now 4/5 dollars goes to Tencent (aka 腾讯控股有限公司)...

Tencent is The (China) Man. Why would I want to enrich The Man?

I used to buy supporter packs. I'd support every time a particularly great expansion came out.

But now? I haven't since GGG was boughht-out by Tencent. (Go ahead, bored GGG employee: check.)

Who else feels this way?

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 02:01:14 AM

"The Man" gets your support one way or another, not specifically Tencent but the idea of "the man".

I tend to base my decision on the quality of the product and the ethics of the company.

However, I've also learned it's important to be able to distinguish between entities.

SeCKSEgai
Aug 23, 2019 02:14:25 AM

I buy packs now if I like what I see. And GGGold is typically better value when it's in a supporter pack.

*shrug* I no longer do it to support GGG but to enhance my personal experience of their game. But no one at TencentGGG gives a squeaky queef why we support, only that we do or don't, so it doesn't matter.

They won.

鬼殺し
Aug 23, 2019 02:18:29 AM

There was a time when i said i would not support tencent, but if i judge every game by the ppl behind it i would not be able to play any game anymore.
Look at bl3 for example i will buy and play it no matter how much i despise the publishers and their actions.
at the end of the day i buy packs and games for me not to support (or not support by not buying) some company.

jackof8lades
Aug 23, 2019 02:20:04 AM

"
I buy packs now if I like what I see.

I don't. There have been plenty of MTXes I've eyed, but I won't even buy the new Stash Tabs (eg, fragment tab).

Game is better than ever, though. *Shrug.* F2P feels good.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 02:21:49 AM

if a league mechanic and the league is fun, I might reward the dev's for it.. but I might not at the same time due to their decisions in the past..

I don't overthink too much on tencentggg if that was the case people supporting activision since they joined blizzard for years..

Xystre
Aug 23, 2019 02:23:10 AM

"
bwam wrote:
"
I buy packs now if I like what I see.

I don't. There have been plenty of MTXes I've eyed, but I won't even buy the new Stash Tabs (eg, fragment tab).

Game is better than ever, though. *Shrug.* F2P feels good.

Clearly you don't; your topic title makes that obvious.

Sorry, did you want a conversation here? I just thought I'd answer and move on. Be thankful I did that much. Your Ruler is a busy man.

鬼殺し
Aug 23, 2019 02:24:57 AM

"
Xystre wrote:
I don't overthink too much on tencentggg if that was the case people supporting activision since they joined blizzard for years..

Not.
English.
Cannot. Parse.

bwam
Aug 23, 2019 02:25:51 AM

Amazing that someone would think that a multi-billion dollar mega company would even notice a $60 purchase.

Shagsbeard
Aug 23, 2019 02:26:26 AM

"
bwam wrote:
Tencent is The (China) Man. Why would I want to enrich The Man?
You're pitching in money to tencent whether you realize it or not. It's too big of a company for you to avoid entirely, and more importantly tencent isn't a gaming company, it just happens to be one of the biggest gaming publishers as sort of a side hobby they do.

yamface
Aug 23, 2019 02:26:44 AM
  • Next