Forum Index Gameplay Help and Discussion IMPALE HYPE NEED Empirical evidence

History

I agree.. for testing purposes 100% is good. Also for testing purposes i need a Fixed damage. which i don't, and thats why i asked if any of you guys have suggestions. I don't even say it is overpowered, nor i say it should be nerfed. All i say is: Are you sure, and have u tested this, and do u feel like u doing double damage with a single gem. Personally when my damage goes x2 i notice it... in this case, i can't notice it.. that's the reason why i started print screening and putting the HP bars an a grid. All i see is people doing math, based on the way they think Impale works in Youtube, and not a single video... with actual results.... but hey, maybe i am the only one that thinks 100% more damage for a gem and 8 nodes looks too good to be true (not even counting the 15% more Multi on the gem itself). Besides even if it is nerfed doesn't prove that the mechanic works this way with Attacks that hit ONCE.... They might nerf it even for Barrage, tornado shot, steels etc... reasons... GGG put so much effort to remove the shotgun effect from 2012, so i wont be surprised... even if the case with the stacks of impale is only for Attacks that hit several times, which i think is the case in here.

twiztedmind
Aug 22, 2019 18:40:52 PM

Some people just completely missed the point of the OP.

aConcernedPlayer
Aug 22, 2019 18:56:42 PM

I like what you're trying to do, but I don't think that the way you're trying to do it is the simplest one. I believe that a time test would be much more reliable.

Take a build with no added flat damage, absolutely no secondary source of damage and, preferably, Resolute Technique (not mandatory, just makes data more reliable).

Use whatever lvl 1 normal weapon you find.

Go fight some boss with a lvl high enough so it will take time to kill with a lvl 1 weapon but that won't kill you.

Fight it without any Impale and then with max impale. Compare the time it takes.

If you really did no other damage, the time difference should be an indication of the difference in DPS. The only bias should be the life regen of the boss.

You could even use an Occultist with Void Beacon to remove that bias.

Gruhk
Aug 22, 2019 19:28:38 PM

"
Gruhk wrote:
I like what you're trying to do, but I don't think that the way you're trying to do it is the simplest one. I believe that a time test would be much more reliable.

Take a build with no added flat damage, absolutely no secondary source of damage and, preferably, Resolute Technique (not mandatory, just makes data more reliable).

Use whatever lvl 1 normal weapon you find.

Go fight some boss with a lvl high enough so it will take time to kill with a lvl 1 weapon but that won't kill you.

Fight it without any Impale and then with max impale. Compare the time it takes.

If you really did no other damage, the time difference should be an indication of the difference in DPS. The only bias should be the life regen of the boss.

You could even use an Occultist with Void Beacon to remove that bias.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Low damage... longer fights. I like that idea. Can't find any other option in weapons.. all have a huge difference between minimum and maximum damage, and can mess with results :/ ...
(btw i took the Resolute Technique in my tests)

twiztedmind
Aug 22, 2019 19:37:21 PM

low tier weapons also have less of a damage bracket, so hopefully the rolls would be more reliable

you'd probably need to use a skill that doesn't add flat damage to it either for the same reason

xMustard
Aug 22, 2019 19:43:15 PM

If you need a suggestion on getting to 100% impale chance, then if you aren't already using it (didn't see where it was said if you are or not) then Dreadbanner can add to your chance to impale (it also increases impale effect so you will need to keep that in mind as well).

VolcanoElixir
Aug 22, 2019 19:58:32 PM

"
VolcanoElixir wrote:
If you need a suggestion on getting to 100% impale chance, then if you aren't already using it (didn't see where it was said if you are or not) then Dreadbanner can add to your chance to impale (it also increases impale effect so you will need to keep that in mind as well).

Yes, thank you all for suggestions ! I will use the banner too. I will level it to lvl 11, so i will hit EXACTLY 100% increased effect of Impale too.... Cannot do it tonight, but i will let you know the results tomorrow ! Will do several tests with Impale and without impale, and just use a stopwatch... will choose a boss where the fight is at least 1 min without impale.

>... now i only need to find a boss that doesn't move... AT ALL :D

twiztedmind
Aug 22, 2019 20:06:34 PM

You might not want to get too overzealous since it's likely a target for incoming nerfs.

I'm still on the fence on dumping exalts into an eye over a gem that may get the arc treatment sooner than later.

SeCKSEgai
Aug 23, 2019 02:18:55 AM

Wouldn’t you get better numerical data if you did it in pvp and the other player told you how much life he lost? The pvp scaling is a fixed amount I believe so you could factor that in. Have your opponent remove all armour pieces so no mitigation.

mark1030
Aug 23, 2019 02:54:08 AM

Time test was much more accurate.
100% Chance to impale, 100% impale effect.

Used skill Cyclone lvl 1., Life gain on hit
only physical damage, no bleed, no procs, no curse, no triger.

Boss Puruna, The Challenger totem, Atoll T6.

results in SECONDS with 8 passives + quality Impale support:

Results in SECONDS without the 8 passives for cyclone, and without impale gem:

On average 130% faster with impale

The difference from 100% impale to 130% faster kill comes from:

the 15% More multi of the gem, and the other stats from the clusters of impale:

20 STR
37% increased damage
8% Attack speed

twiztedmind
Aug 23, 2019 13:47:15 PM
  • Prev
  • Next