Forum Index Feedback and Suggestions In 2019, Diablo 3 and Path of Exile are more alike than you realize.

History

It's one of the oldest criticisms of Diablo 3: "Your decisions don't mean anything."

And such a breath of fresh air to come to a game like Path of Exile, where your decisions do mean something.

I mean, you can pick any character type you want, right? You can assign them any Ascendancy you want. You can choose any primary skill that goes well with that Ascendancy, and you are guaranteed to have a quality gameplay experience in any League, so long as you build that character well.

Right?

Right???

I do hope the next League continues to move in this excellent direction.

gibbousmoon
Aug 20, 2019 16:49:27 PM

If decisions don’t matter, why do I keep seeing posts from people who made bad decisions saying they keep dying because the game is broken?

mark1030
Aug 20, 2019 17:33:49 PM

Because the game is broken.

Pyrokar
Aug 21, 2019 09:44:19 AM

"
mark1030 wrote:
If decisions don’t matter, why do I keep seeing posts from people who made bad decisions saying they keep dying because the game is broken?

Whooosh

raics
Aug 21, 2019 10:08:23 AM

"
mark1030 wrote:
If decisions don’t matter, why do I keep seeing posts from people who made bad decisions saying they keep dying because the game is broken?


You are saying that noobtraps = genuine decisions.

I couldn't disagree more. The ability to make mistakes is not remotely similar to the ability to choose meaningfully from the dozens of builds this game purports to provide.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that kind of thinking (which GGG may or may not share, though their behavior indicates that they do share it) is exactly what this thread is making fun of.

Notice that your retort fails to address a single one of the criticisms (expressed as praise for ironic effect) in the initial post.

"
raics wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
If decisions don’t matter, why do I keep seeing posts from people who made bad decisions saying they keep dying because the game is broken?

Whooosh


Yup.

gibbousmoon
Aug 21, 2019 10:33:54 AM

I'm not sure to get your point, gibbousmoon.
Is it that, in Path of Exile, your decisions are meaningless, because there's only a very narrow set of builds that the game doesn't severely punish?

That kind of seems like the opposite issue to what Diablo 3 has:
Diablo 3 has very few available choices, and any choice can be changed at any moment at zero cost, making it hard to feel invested in your character's build. Any character can be played through all content, though.
Path of Exile has an immense array of available choices, that can't be changed on a whim, making it easy to feel invested in your character's build, but if you get invested in your character's build, the game is going to shit on you during end game.


It's hard to imagine it changing now, though, as new developments seem geared towards punishing even more builds that don't go that straight narrow route.

That's one of the issues of marketting the game as "hardcore", you can't really widen the build range by making mechanics more inclusive. Or rather, you could, but some players will complain that you are watering down the game.

Qiu_Qiu
Aug 21, 2019 11:21:20 AM

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
It's one of the oldest criticisms of Diablo 3: "Your decisions don't mean anything."

And such a breath of fresh air to come to a game like Path of Exile, where your decisions do mean something.

I mean, you can pick any character type you want, right? You can assign them any Ascendancy you want. You can choose any primary skill that goes well with that Ascendancy, and you are guaranteed to have a quality gameplay experience in any League, so long as you build that character well.

Right?

Right???

I do hope the next League continues to move in this excellent direction.


Depending on what "Quality Gameplay Experience" means to you this is actually true for POE. You don't have to play the build of the month to do all content in POE and have fun doing so. If you want to break world records for farm speed and have to optimize your rewards per hour as much as possible then sure, but that's your fault not the games.

I am not really sure what that critic is aiming at in D3 but i guess it's about how skills and character building work there and in this regard POE IS in a whole other league. The complexity and all the possibilities you have in POE aren't even comparable to D3 and the limited options you have there. Not to mention that you can literally switch up your char entirely whenever you want in D3 making the choice irrelevant in the first place as it can be changed and reverted at any time for zero cost.


"
mark1030 wrote:
If decisions don’t matter, why do I keep seeing posts from people who made bad decisions saying they keep dying because the game is broken?


Bad players making bad decisions and dying because of them doesn't change the fact that this game IS broken. Massive visibility issues combined with complete lack of information regarding monster abilities and damage values and oneshot abilities everywhere.

My Jugg and Chieftain can facetank literally every telegraphed move in the game and still die to stuff i don't even know what it is, most likely some sort of on death or ground effects that are almost impossible to see/notice unless you know exactly what to look for.

Baharoth15
Aug 21, 2019 11:22:45 AM

"
That kind of seems like the opposite issue to what Diablo 3 has:
Diablo 3 has very few available choices, and any choice can be changed at any moment at zero cost, making it hard to feel invested in your character's build. Any character can be played through all content, though.
Yep. D3 didn't really have builds, just skill bar setups and gear. That and many of the skills were variations of the same skill so it didn't feel like there was much purpose in using skills other than the best one.

VolcanoElixir
Aug 21, 2019 11:35:51 AM

"
Baharoth15 wrote:
I am not really sure what that critic is aiming at in D3 but i guess it's about how skills and character building work there and in this regard POE IS in a whole other league. The complexity and all the possibilities you have in POE aren't even comparable to D3 and the limited options you have there. Not to mention that you can literally switch up your char entirely whenever you want in D3 making the choice irrelevant in the first place as it can be changed and reverted at any time for zero cost.

Be as it may, the stats show that the majority of players tend to play what the devs want us to play that league, even if we don't technically have to we still do, they make it way too tempting.

raics
Aug 21, 2019 11:52:50 AM

"
raics wrote:
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
I am not really sure what that critic is aiming at in D3 but i guess it's about how skills and character building work there and in this regard POE IS in a whole other league. The complexity and all the possibilities you have in POE aren't even comparable to D3 and the limited options you have there. Not to mention that you can literally switch up your char entirely whenever you want in D3 making the choice irrelevant in the first place as it can be changed and reverted at any time for zero cost.

Be as it may, the stats show that the majority of players tend to play what the devs want us to play that league, even if we don't technically have to we still do, they make it way too tempting.


Sure but you can't really blame GGG for that. Sure their balancing sucks, but even if they were good at it, it's impossible to make all skills equally good, there will always be a best build, no matter how good they are at balancing. And all the "my goal this league is to make as many exalts (or mirrors or HHs or whatever) as possible" guys WILL play that one build. And looking at this forum at least the vocal majority here is exactly that kind of player.

Baharoth15
Aug 21, 2019 11:58:22 AM
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 5
  • 6
  • Next