Forum Index Technical Support New Ryzen 3700x upgrade 3 times worse performance?

History

Still haven't found a fix getting better performance on the 3770k @ 3.9GHZ with a 980gtx vs 3700x @ 4.3 with a 1080ti

JesusBigDick
Jul 24, 2019 21:42:43 PM

you could try this here and see if it works for you -->
https://respoe.xyz/forum/view-thread/2602685

HanSoloDK
Jul 24, 2019 23:40:05 PM

"
HanSoloDK wrote:

No dice its no spikes in fps that's the problem its just low fps for no seemly good reason.

JesusBigDick
Jul 25, 2019 17:58:42 PM

"
HanSoloDK wrote:

Thanks but it's useless for the problem of new ryzen
:(

lyyaxh
Jul 25, 2019 19:09:24 PM

same problem here with ryzen 3700x, 16 gb 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia 1070 TI. Terrible performance after upgrade from ryzen 1600. Any help?

Puercoescondido
Jul 26, 2019 04:25:31 AM

are you use win10 1903?
maybe helping?
Windows 1903 fixed the scheduler for Ryzen
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bz6egc/windows_1903_fixed_the_scheduler_for_ryzen/

Besovskii
Jul 26, 2019 10:48:26 AM

All with problems using fresh win10 install with newest updates?

bruts
Jul 26, 2019 18:40:24 PM

"
bruts wrote:

Yes I've tested it with a 100% fresh install runs the same.

JesusBigDick
Jul 26, 2019 21:17:35 PM

"

Yes, of course.

I did some more testing. Reducing PoE's graphics settings seems to have little if any impact on FPS in scenarios where there are many enemies on screen. This suggests I'm not actually GPU limited as I previously thought.

Using the updated Radeon drivers I was able to stably run AMD's built-in performance overlay. Previously this had caused crashes.

The first weird behaviour is that for some reason PoE throttles itself to my screen's framerate even if Vsync is off. I also verified that frame rate target control was off in the Radeon software in both global settings and PoE specific settings. (FRTC is AMD's feature that slows down rendering for power/heat saving purposes when FPS is above the set target, which could produce this exact behaviour.) E: might have been coincidence, when I reduced the graphics settings further I was able to hit framerates of >200. Consider this one fixed/a non-issue.

In non-demanding scenarios like empty hideout/empty towns with lower than max graphics settings, I received a constant 143-144 FPS and the GPU monitor showed 60-80% utilisation and 60-70 C temperature.

In "demanding" scenarios such as Legion and even just fighting many normal map monsters, FPS still jumped around wildly. I saw minimums in the 20s. The average while doing monoliths still sat around 55-65 as it had when I was running max settings.

The unexpected behaviour was that even when FPS was averaging below 60, GPU utilisation as reported by AMD's software was often 80% or less. I even saw values as low as 60%, and GPU temps were reported to be around 70C. As a comparison, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark which says it's 99% GPU limited causes GPU utilisation to sit at 97-98% for the whole test, and GPU temperature goes to over 80 C.

This suggests that PoE is actually CPU limited, or there's some other factor which is causing the GPU to not be fully utilised. If indeed PoE is CPU limited when I'm using a 3900X, I find that questionable and disappointing. Yes, it is the case that the 3900X has less gaming performance when compared to for example a 9900K. See for example this video from Hardware Unboxed. Starcraft 2 (where the link starts) shows the worst-case performance difference from the Intel CPU out of the games he tested. It is possible that PoE is another case where the performance difference would be significant.

There are a few other possibilities and the platform I'm using is new enough that I can't absolutely rule out driver/firmware/BIOS issues. A known issue my BIOS has is that it doesn't let the CPU run to its advertised max boost clock. According to monitoring software, it does boost to 4.5Ghz which is only 100MHz less than the advertised clock and in light multi-core loads like gaming it runs around 4.25 anyway, so I question whether fixing this would have any impact unless there are also other, less visible issues.

To sum up, the behaviour is that PoE has unexpectedly low and unstable framerates while not fully utilising the GPU. Other games don't show this behaviour. I tried Dota 2, SOTTR, Skyrim SE (locked to 60FPS anyway due to engine; GPU use is like 40% and temp <50C at max settings constant 60FPS, unmodded), Grim Dawn. 3DMark Time Spy & Fire Strike also show normal performance.

Will do some more testing with monitoring software & record another video that illustrates what I'm seeing.

any_one
Jul 26, 2019 21:48:00 PM

"
any_one wrote:
"

Yes, of course.

I did some more testing. Reducing PoE's graphics settings seems to have little if any impact on FPS in scenarios where there are many enemies on screen. This suggests I'm not actually GPU limited as I previously thought.

Using the updated Radeon drivers I was able to stably run AMD's built-in performance overlay. Previously this had caused crashes.

The first weird behaviour is that for some reason PoE throttles itself to my screen's framerate even if Vsync is off. I also verified that frame rate target control was off in the Radeon software in both global settings and PoE specific settings. (FRTC is AMD's feature that slows down rendering for power/heat saving purposes when FPS is above the set target, which could produce this exact behaviour.) E: might have been coincidence, when I reduced the graphics settings further I was able to hit framerates of >200. Consider this one fixed/a non-issue.

In non-demanding scenarios like empty hideout/empty towns with lower than max graphics settings, I received a constant 143-144 FPS and the GPU monitor showed 60-80% utilisation and 60-70 C temperature.

In "demanding" scenarios such as Legion and even just fighting many normal map monsters, FPS still jumped around wildly. I saw minimums in the 20s. The average while doing monoliths still sat around 55-65 as it had when I was running max settings.

The unexpected behaviour was that even when FPS was averaging below 60, GPU utilisation as reported by AMD's software was often 80% or less. I even saw values as low as 60%, and GPU temps were reported to be around 70C. As a comparison, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark which says it's 99% GPU limited causes GPU utilisation to sit at 97-98% for the whole test, and GPU temperature goes to over 80 C.

This suggests that PoE is actually CPU limited, or there's some other factor which is causing the GPU to not be fully utilised. If indeed PoE is CPU limited when I'm using a 3900X, I find that questionable and disappointing. Yes, it is the case that the 3900X has less gaming performance when compared to for example a 9900K. See for example this video from Hardware Unboxed. Starcraft 2 (where the link starts) shows the worst-case performance difference from the Intel CPU out of the games he tested. It is possible that PoE is another case where the performance difference would be significant.

There are a few other possibilities and the platform I'm using is new enough that I can't absolutely rule out driver/firmware/BIOS issues. A known issue my BIOS has is that it doesn't let the CPU run to its advertised max boost clock. According to monitoring software, it does boost to 4.5Ghz which is only 100MHz less than the advertised clock and in light multi-core loads like gaming it runs around 4.25 anyway, so I question whether fixing this would have any impact unless there are also other, less visible issues.

To sum up, the behaviour is that PoE has unexpectedly low and unstable framerates while not fully utilising the GPU. Other games don't show this behaviour. I tried Dota 2, SOTTR, Skyrim SE (locked to 60FPS anyway due to engine; GPU use is like 40% and temp <50C at max settings constant 60FPS, unmodded), Grim Dawn. 3DMark Time Spy & Fire Strike also show normal performance.

Will do some more testing with monitoring software & record another video that illustrates what I'm seeing.

Poe for me is 100% being limited by the CPU I've tested with all low settings at low rez to be sure but like I said my 3770k at a lower clock speed run better with a 980gtx then my 3700x 1080ti.

Having said that utilization is sometimes miss leading poe isn't the only game to not max out ether the CPU or GPU but be bottle-necked by one of them.

JesusBigDick
Jul 27, 2019 00:16:53 AM
  • Prev
  • Next