Forum Index Off Topic TV Shows Megathread -- share your finds, rants and recs here

History

It 'stopped' at a satisfying point, but as with most sports/competition anime, it doesn't have what you'd consider the Big Showdown. It seems almost not the point of sports/competition anime.

I can't tell if that's a genre thing or a 'we rarely finish these things' thing.

But that does raise an interesting issue of endings. What marks a great ending? For me, satisfaction that the characters' arcs are done and as many loose ends are tied up as possible. It doesn't have to be a big climax or a grand finale. It just has to be the right destination for the journey.

鬼殺し
Jun 07, 2019 01:55:42 AM

"
Boem wrote:
I guess that's a no go for iangyratu then. I watched that a year ago or even longer and thought it had finished.

Cheers for clearing that up, i can only imagine ian getting to the end and going "that fucker, where is my ending!"

Haha, no worries! I like to do a little research before I watch. I just prefer finished series at this point, as I don't want to wait for next seasons. I watched a lot of series this and last year, and I feel I could take a break. Before Netflix happened, I used not to be a series person - I could watch nothing for a year, same with games.

Iangyratu
Jun 07, 2019 02:45:49 AM

If we can include non-netflix shows then I'd like to suggest NOS4A2, if you have AMC Premier you can watch the entire season.

"
Based on Joe Hill's New York Times best-selling novel of the same name, "NOS4A2" is a different kind of vampire story. It follows Vic McQueen, a gifted young woman who discovers she has a supernatural ability to find lost things. This ability puts her on a collision course with the evil and immortal Charlie Manx. Manx is a supernatural villain who feeds off the souls of children and then deposits what remains of them into Christmasland -- a twisted place of Manx's imagination where every day is Christmas Day and unhappiness is against the law. Vic strives to defeat Manx and rescue his victims -- without losing her mind or falling victim to him.

It's pretty damn good and the cast is great. It's one of those types of shows that once you start watching you won't want to stop.

Shovelcut
Jun 07, 2019 03:02:12 AM

Joe Hill's a great writer. Better than his dad in a lot of ways. I recently read The Fireman which I deeply enjoyed, and obviously Horns is right up my alley (didn't see the movie though, not that interested). And I thought Locke and Key was just damn cool.

NOS4A2 has been on my radar. Looks like I'm waiting for a bluray there. AMC has some interesting quirky gems. I'm a big Preacher fan, but agree that it's very different to the graphic novels (better in some ways, worse in many others). I keep pondering Into The Badlands, which I know was canceled but the mere premise of it (A Monkey retelling set in a post-apoc future with Nick Frost as Pigsy!?) and the passion behind the scenes is pure batshit and that intrigues me. It's a shame AMC is so far up The Walking Dead's arse. :(

oh, and it's impossible to sub to AMC in Australia. We're relying on another local cable/streaming service with direct access to AMC and HBO's stuff called 'Stan'. But I already have netflix and Amazon Prime, and *sigh* four anime services, sooo...yeah, I have enough services for now. That and I still like to collect bluray box sets. Good TV shows deserve them. Never know when you might get the urge for a rewatch...

Speaking of, Deadwood The Movie aired. Reviewed very well. Guess I'm waiting for that on Bluray too.

鬼殺し
Jun 07, 2019 03:08:20 AM

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Anyway, if you remember Avatar fondly, give Trollhunters a go. (and skip Dragon Prince. I'd rant about how bad that is but I'll see if anyone else goes there first).

But why? Dragon Prince is a hit within my group.

CanHasPants
Jun 07, 2019 18:33:28 PM

"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Anyway, if you remember Avatar fondly, give Trollhunters a go. (and skip Dragon Prince. I'd rant about how bad that is but I'll see if anyone else goes there first).

But why? Dragon Prince is a hit within my group.

The writing was awful. So derivative and cringe-worthy usage of pop culture references and quotes in a completely fantasy world by characters that wouldn't get or know the source of those references. You just don't do that.

The animation was dire. Lovely backgrounds, but amateur everything else.

The intro was incredibly overcooked. Massive infodump. You're not Lord of the Rings, show.

The characters were unbelievable. Easy example: they wanted us to believe the elf chick was a prodigy assassin, but apparently she didn't know what a whetstone is. TERRIBLE WRITING.

...And that's just the shit I remember. My initial rant about how bad it was was a lot longer. And I only made it through 1.3 episodes.

But hey, if you can enjoy it, good for you. A few of my friends certainly did. We just don't talk about it.

鬼殺し
Jun 07, 2019 18:36:51 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend Babylon Berlin. On the surface it's a detective story based on 1930's Weimar republic. The city of Berlin is flowing with new ideas and strange people, but the old world is still present, rebelling against cosmopolitan change. Under the surface I felt it being a story of something much more sinister. Also, I couldn't help but make a contemporary political comparison while watching it.

Babylon Berlin features a surreal atmosphere, its main character has a first world war trauma shadowing him. Societal order is closer to a collapse than people around him realize. There is a metaphorical inner battle taking place, whereas real enemy is still unknown to everyone. Invention of psychoanalysis hints at fear of being under mind control of an external force. Many factors empower resulting paranoia which is subtly leading nation towards its fatal course as if everyone were walking on sleep.

By the way, I have no idea how they do translation in non-english series these days. In Scandinavia we have everything done with subtitles which I think is the preferable method. It would feel so stupid if the German characters were speaking dubbed English.

vmt80
Jun 13, 2019 21:30:54 PM

Question: has anyone seen OUTLAW KING on Netflix and is it any good?

Recommendation: CHERNOBYL from HBO - very good mini series!

EDIT:

I finally watched OUTLAW KING and I think it's a good movie.

As many people pointed out it could have been even better as a mini series because it tries to get too much told in not enough time.

Still, it is a nicely paced movie with good character and character relationship development, where action and dialogues are equally well placed.

I also enjoyed the desire of the director to make a more historically accurate and less fancy movie. An analysis of the historical accuracy can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoC9G75nwo. Of course there are some inaccuracies for dramatic purpose. The most obvious being that Robert the Bruce and Edward the I. are not as black and white (hero vs villain) as depicted in the movie.

I would score it 7.5 out of 10

Antigegner
Jun 14, 2019 05:40:55 AM

dark

really is one of the best shows i think netflix have had, if you like things a little strange its an absolute must see.

just got done with stranger things 3, which was pretty awful all in all imo. I kind of went off that show in season 2 and this time around... ugghhhh, im sure some people will love it but I found it very generic and actually quite distasteful. Just full of annoying cliches and even more annoying characters.

altered carbon was really good... ive read the book tho and maybe my head is filling in blanks someone just watching the show isnt being given, so hard to say if it was as great as I thought it was. The book was solid, was nothing to write home about but even fairly generic sci fi books tend to put 99% of sci fi tv to shame.

I quite enjoyed haunting of hill house, nothing groundbreaking but well done i thought, I bought into the characters. Been meaning to watch season 3 of narcos forever and still havent, but can recommend season 1 and 2 for anyone thats been living in a cave.

Snorkle_uk
Jul 16, 2019 11:32:27 AM

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
dark

really is one of the best shows i think netflix have had, if you like things a little strange its an absolute must see.

just got done with stranger things 3, which was pretty awful all in all imo. I kind of went off that show in season 2 and this time around... ugghhhh, im sure some people will love it but I found it very generic and actually quite distasteful. Just full of annoying cliches and even more annoying characters.

altered carbon was really good... ive read the book tho and maybe my head is filling in blanks someone just watching the show isnt being given, so hard to say if it was as great as I thought it was. The book was solid, was nothing to write home about but even fairly generic sci fi books tend to put 99% of sci fi tv to shame.

I quite enjoyed haunting of hill house, nothing groundbreaking but well done i thought, I bought into the characters. Been meaning to watch season 3 of narcos forever and still havent, but can recommend season 1 and 2 for anyone thats been living in a cave.

I would like to quickly say that I agree with Snorkle.

DARK is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I strongly recommend to binge it and not wait too long between watching episodes. Be patient with the first episodes. It starts really slow because it needs to introduce quite a few characters, but if you are patient you will be rewarded. So far Season 1 and 2 are out and they say season 3 will be the final one (in 2020).

ALTERED CARBON is also a pretty good show.

NARCOS season 1 and 2 are fantastic. Season 3 is good and Season 4 is still ok...

glad you mentioned those shows Snorkle, they are really worth watching!

Antigegner
Jul 16, 2019 11:59:46 AM
  • Prev
  • Next