Forum Index Off Topic I am the Drone of this Board: Fate Discussion thread now open to all Masters...

History

Whats up with Fate/Extra : Last encore?

It feels very different from previous franchise series I watched. I completed 5/10 episodes, but there is an uneasy feeling in me all the time when watching it.

I understand the setting and everything, but still something feels off and I cant pinpoint it.

Necromael
Jul 30, 2018 08:36:07 AM

"
Necromael wrote:
Whats up with Fate/Extra : Last encore?

It feels very different from previous franchise series I watched. I completed 5/10 episodes, but there is an uneasy feeling in me all the time when watching it.

I understand the setting and everything, but still something feels off and I cant pinpoint it.

its the sequel to a fairly obscure psp game called Fate/Extra.

the series doesnt even end. There is a two part ova airing today or soon that concludes it.

---

in bigger news, the two top chapters of fate go are getting anime adaptations! Production IG will be doing two movies of the sixth singularity, the incredible Nasu written Camelot, and Cloverworks will be doing a short series of the seventh singularity, Babylonia, which has more Gil than you mongrels can handle.

Production IG should knock Camelot out of the park. I thought it had the best story since Zero, and so many high profile servants and seiyuu. I am genuinely hyped.

鬼殺し
Jul 30, 2018 09:10:13 AM

Saw that the little prince is coming - Fate Requiem, and supposedly many explorers are featured as servants.

Dont know what to think about it, as i see it, this is announcement of ln release.

Found it interesting so reviving this, as its unsuitable to post in anime thread.

Necromael
Dec 30, 2018 17:29:51 PM

Yeah, the GF showed me that. Not sure really. Don't know that author very well, and it sounds...outlandish.

Anyway, nice to see the Fate thread get a bump. :)

鬼殺し
Dec 31, 2018 00:02:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98s0s3VWwho

Found this while browsing, all fgo comics animated, or at least most of them

Necromael
Jan 03, 2019 09:27:15 AM

"
Necromael wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98s0s3VWwho

Found this while browsing, all fgo comics animated, or at least most of them

We are both very happy about this!

I finished fgo last night. Super satisfying ending.

Loving how much Fate anime we are due this year. Two series, at least one movie possibly two, some ovas.

And extella link is due in English soon.

Gacha at work.

鬼殺し
Jan 03, 2019 10:34:29 AM

So I'm about 25 hours into Fate/Extella Link. Everyone else atm is like WHEE I AM A KILLER NINJA DUDE and I'm just happy to play King Arthur with boobs. or Francis Drake with boobs. Or Elizabeth Bathory with no boobs.

Fate/Extella Link is absolutely unmissable for any Fate fan.

The game is a vast improvement on Fate/Extella the Umbral Star on pretty much every level. The story is tighter, far less cringe-inducing flirting and internal monologue, the controls feel inestimably smoother and of course the servant selection is significantly buffed.

Regarding the writing, it's interesting because Higashide took over from Nasu here and it shows. Where Nasu does deep, convoluted, psychologically intense narratives, Higashide (Apocrypha) shines when it comes to battle royale type outings trying to cram as many badasses into the screen at once, sniping each other when they're not actually sniping each other. So while people loved to decry Apocrypha for not being Nasu, I actually dread to think what sort of bloated mess Nasu might have made of a 16 servant brawl. His fate/GO singularities typically have only a handful of Servants that he explores fully -- Extella Link actually benefits from a more shallow writing style.

In Extella Link's predecessor, The Umbral Star, all of your Servant's moves barring their main main Noble Phantasm were locked to light/heavy attack combos, which was technically challenging but let down by a clunky, janky system. In Link, the light/heavy attacks are much simpler but character-defining skills are now triggered at will. You can equip four at a time, out of a selection of seven. For 26 servants, that's a *lot* of significant attacks and skills. And most of these are Noble-Phantasm level moves in themselves. Artoria, for example, still has her NP-level Excalibur but she also has a smaller version you can use quite often that will clear mooks very handily. Thanks to Servant class diversity, these four skills rarely feel the same character to character. On a caster they're more about utility and throwing enemies around; on a rider, they're about mobility and AoE damage.

The significant point here is you can play a Servant precisely how you'd want to play them, busting out their signature moves almost non-stop. This to me is a big step up from fluking them through combos.

In Umbral Star you had to find three hidden items on a multi-area map to unlock your Noble Phantasm. It was pretty lame. In Link, you can build NP that way or you can do it just by killing lots and lots of enemies in Drive state (a basic powered-up state gained, again, by items, skills or killing shit). You can expect to unleash your NP several times in any given scenario in Link. As a nice bonus, most NPs have multiple dialogues.

Itemisation is (perhaps not surprisingly) quite deep. Install skills (sticking to the jargon of the Moon Cell Holy Wars/FateGO) drop a LOT but can be combined to former stronger versions of themselves eventually. And there are absolutely heaps of them. Pretty much any term from Fate is an install skill that passively affects your character in combat. Territory creation gives you home ground advantage. Imperial privilege means you can trigger rush attacks (dbz style button mashing clashes) off skills that aren't inherent to your class. Prana burst increases damage of various types. Golden Rule drops more QP (crafting and leveling currency). Reduced Earth increases movement speed. Independent Action keeps you in drive mode longer...

Something I've yet to fully figure out is that under each Servant's basic profile is a list of their traditional attributes from Fate. They can all be boosted somehow with install skill choice, but they in themselves don't seem to have clear effect on the game. For example, Gilles De Rais has 'Territory Creation EX' as one of his attributes because he's a caster, and I know 'Territory Creation' in Link means you get extra damage when in a friendly sector. Okay, but then we have, say, Cu Chulainn's 'Protection from Arrows'. You could assume that'd translate to be defence against ranged, but I've yet to see that stat in the game. I will probably have to research this.

I mean, none of this is going to sway a person one way or the other. As one of the top steam reviews notes, you're either here for Astolfo or you're not. The game knows this and plays him up to the max.

The larger question of whether or not this game is okay for non-Fate fans is addressed by pretty much every other review or write-up out there, so I won't bother.

As a final note, the soundtrack this time is much less techno-y and handled by MONACA, the stable of composers who did Bakemonogatari, Garo...and Nier.

鬼殺し
Mar 25, 2019 02:24:23 AM

I'll try it out then. Should I maybe get the previous installation in series? Or its skippable?

I got first 5* in fgo, francis drake, hoped for quetzal, but won't complain. Also Oda seems pretty good if i put her in a team that generates lots of stars for her to crit all the time.

Now getting prepared for next event with free 4* berserker cha cha

Necromael
Mar 25, 2019 07:19:32 AM

"
Necromael wrote:
I'll try it out then. Should I maybe get the previous installation in series? Or its skippable?

I got first 5* in fgo, francis drake, hoped for quetzal, but won't complain. Also Oda seems pretty good if i put her in a team that generates lots of stars for her to crit all the time.

Now getting prepared for next event with free 4* berserker cha cha

Francis Drake was my first 5* ever as well. Long before I gave in to banner whaling, I got her, Okita and then Altria in the span of about a year. Oh, those naive wonderful days.

Oda's a fine charity archer, but Chloe is *much* better.

I managed to do possibly the worst 10 pull last night. One 3 star servant (Cu chulainn) TWO Mapo tofus, and one four star craft essence. Like, wtf.

Definitely play Umbral Star first. The story is integral to the real meat and bones of Link. And if you're a Fate fan, there's plenty to chew on. I found the emphasis on lewding over the top and it really fattens the story but eh, comes with the Territory I guess. Enjoy Umbral Star for the insanely unexpected Nasu story, then come play Link for the far superior gameplay.

鬼殺し
Mar 25, 2019 11:46:32 AM

PS I think Drake is way better than Quetz.

鬼殺し
Mar 25, 2019 11:46:32 AM
  • Prev
  • Next