Forum Index General Discussion EXALTED ORB Price Shenanigans [Blight] 178:1 It's ok *shrugs*

History

"
krenderke wrote:

Those are gear for minmaxers(and people with shit tier builds that dont function otherwise), the ones priced for a mirror are actually for mirroring (so a mirror and a couple ex), you don't need mirrored gear to play the game, to be honest a 5link with a shitty unique weapon is enough for most content in the game, as you will most likely oneshot every pack even on a 4link, but even then, getting a 6link was never cheaper, than it is now.

The price curve is exponentional, you have budget gear that is ebough for everything, let's use bino's as an example.

Bino costs 1C, you would need to spend 15-20 exalts on a phys dagger to outdmg it, and then there are the extremely good daggers with 6 T1 mods, that are the mirror worthy daggers, but in reality you only get a minor boost compared to having the 20 ex one.

Bino: clears every content costs 1C
20 ex dagger: clears every content 10% faster
Mirrored dagger: clears every content 20% faster


You have to ask yourself how much are you willing to pay, whether that little bit of difference is worth it for you or not.

Same for ES gear: 400 ES helmet 1 ex, 500+ES helmet 20+++ ex, 550 ES shield 3 ex, 600+ ES shield 20 ++ ex.

Similarly you can have level 21 auras, 26 quality support gems, the difference is minimal, but it is worth if you want to reach the maximal potential out of your build, and clear 1% faster, take 1% less dmg for an extra of 3-6 exalts per gem.

Nay, I understand the difference between "need" and "want" :) But if stuff exists in the game, then it must serve some practical purpose, no? Like, someone must be able to afford it somehow. I'm just not used to looking at end-game gear and realizing that it's the same thing as looking at a Ferrari through the window of a luxury car dealership. For instance, back in Diablo 2 days, the most sought-after item was probably Enigma. Was it rare and expensive? Yes. Could an average player get their hands on one over the course of a 6-month season? Absolutely, I can personally attest to that. You would just farm the cow level ad nauseam, and eventually you would see that Ber rune drop, and viola - you got yourself an Enigma. But in PoE, it seems like some items are so expensive that they might as well exist in a parallel universe. So that's why I was asking - am I doing something wrong by just playing the game, farming the maps, collecting and exchanging smaller currencies, and saving up to buy another exalt?

DGTLDaemon
Apr 04, 2017 12:48:52 PM

You are not doing anything wrong.

However you are only level 90, if you were to grind to level 100, then since that means thousands of maps(compare that to 100 or so u need until 90), you would have enough currency to afford that kind of stuff, does an average player level to 100 in 3 months? No, and extreme minmaxing is only meaningful for them.

So if you are playing 20 hours a day, clearing maps constantly, 2min per map and you want to save an extra second per map, then you can get your hands on that kind of gear.

Otherwise if you are not into that kind of gameplay, but is interested in playing a single build past 90,then eventually you can get yourself a 20 ex upgrade.

If you only play til 90 with a build, as the majorit of us does, then the cheap items are just as fine, may that be gear for 10c or 2 ex.

For the absolute casuals the 1c gear is perfect.

krenderke
Apr 04, 2017 13:00:02 PM

"
krenderke wrote:

Otherwise if you are not into that kind of gameplay, but is interested in playing a single build past 90,then eventually you can get yourself a 20 ex upgrade.

Yup, that was my assessment, too - at the current rate, I might save up something like 20 ex by the end of the league. OK, thanks for taking your time to write that wall of text, this clears things up a bit for me :)

DGTLDaemon
Apr 04, 2017 13:03:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/LNjOWMO.png

keep calm and ignore the market.

Hallsttattian
Apr 04, 2017 13:07:12 PM

"
ProdigyToby wrote:
"
crystalwitch wrote:


Except new players are going to hear about the big ticket items 10x more than these. Whether its global chat, trade chat or youtube/twitch or anytime they research the game at all (as most modern gamers do) they are much more likely to become aware of skyforth or shavs or any other t1 unique, and when they look up the price of these items they WILL be discouraged. When was the last time anyone did anything significant with anything you listed other than whispering ice? You remember that build that used voidbringer? I sure don't.


Daresso's shield is now legit good for the beginning Gladiator. :|
Geofri's Crest was/is go-to leveling item for some spell builds.
Obliteration is used in Occultist builds...
Midnight Bargain... well, it isn't that good anymore, but sure as hell some Spectre builds will be able to use it well.
Marohi Erqi, heard of Earthquake? Voidheart? No?
Voidbringer - I sold well rolled Voidbringers for ~10c last league. I think people still use them...

You going for all the cookie cutter builds with streamer-grade uniques doesn't mean other uniques are bad. Many of these uniques can be used in end-game viable builds or for leveling up/early end-game.
If you cannot manage to get yourself some leveling gear for early end-game, you most likely will quit PoE anyways, since it requires you to do searching all the fucking time anyways. I'm all for tutorials and shit, but arguing that economy is making people quit is simply silly.

Perq
Apr 04, 2017 13:30:22 PM

First post after 2000 hrs played ( I don’t afk . . . . ok maybe a tiny amount ).

Finally, inflation has outstripped my ability to buy fun gear.

In all fairness, I play with a few friends for about 3 hours a night and am by no means hardcore.

Now before various people reply with amazing solutions on how to access endgame content (Hall of Grand Masters + ) with a 4-link and a flask all I am posting is that this is the first time I have truly felt that it’s beyond my ability to commit the amount of time needed to access the higher endgame content with conventional builds. I enjoy playing a variety of styles I just cant afford the time to make amazing builds and rely on cookie cutters. Sorry.

Now don’t get me wrong, my ability to invest time is hampered as I am a dad with work and study commitments so if GGG want to gate access then I can respect that. I suppose this is the first time that I have felt that available time commitment won’t get me as far as it used to.

It is no secret that GGG respects those that invest time and effort so I am just wondering, do I lower my expectations and accept that higher endgame content is now out of my reach?

angrybstard
Apr 04, 2017 13:57:17 PM

"
angrybstard wrote:
First post after 2000 hrs played ( I don’t afk . . . . ok maybe a tiny amount ).

Finally, inflation has outstripped my ability to buy fun gear.

In all fairness, I play with a few friends for about 3 hours a night and am by no means hardcore.

Now before various people reply with amazing solutions on how to access endgame content (Hall of Grand Masters + ) with a 4-link and a flask all I am posting is that this is the first time I have truly felt that it’s beyond my ability to commit the amount of time needed to access the higher endgame content with conventional builds. I enjoy playing a variety of styles I just cant afford the time to make amazing builds and rely on cookie cutters. Sorry.

Now don’t get me wrong, my ability to invest time is hampered as I am a dad with work and study commitments so if GGG want to gate access then I can respect that. I suppose this is the first time that I have felt that available time commitment won’t get me as far as it used to.

It is no secret that GGG respects those that invest time and effort so I am just wondering, do I lower my expectations and accept that higher endgame content is now out of my reach?




You refuse to play a build that can do things cheaply but then complain that your build you tinker with in your spare time costs too much to access
End game

I used to do that.

Vanadium81
Apr 04, 2017 14:06:05 PM

"
Vanadium81 wrote:
"
angrybstard wrote:
First post after 2000 hrs played ( I don’t afk . . . . ok maybe a tiny amount ).

Finally, inflation has outstripped my ability to buy fun gear.

In all fairness, I play with a few friends for about 3 hours a night and am by no means hardcore.

Now before various people reply with amazing solutions on how to access endgame content (Hall of Grand Masters + ) with a 4-link and a flask all I am posting is that this is the first time I have truly felt that it’s beyond my ability to commit the amount of time needed to access the higher endgame content with conventional builds. I enjoy playing a variety of styles I just cant afford the time to make amazing builds and rely on cookie cutters. Sorry.

Now don’t get me wrong, my ability to invest time is hampered as I am a dad with work and study commitments so if GGG want to gate access then I can respect that. I suppose this is the first time that I have felt that available time commitment won’t get me as far as it used to.

It is no secret that GGG respects those that invest time and effort so I am just wondering, do I lower my expectations and accept that higher endgame content is now out of my reach?




You refuse to play a build that can do things cheaply but then complain that your build you tinker with in your spare time costs too much to access
End game

I used to do that.



Um sorry I thought i made it clear, fun and enjoyment play a role. I dont refuse to play builds.

I like to play a variety of builds that seem enjoyable to me. All i am asking is my approach now outdated?

being able to earn currency. . . . I used to do that.

angrybstard
Apr 04, 2017 14:13:52 PM

"
angrybstard wrote:

being able to earn currency. . . . I used to do that.


What is stopping you?

Spoiler
Exalted Orb
-
Click to expand
  • Enchants a rare item with a new random modifier
  • Chaos Orb
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges a rare item with new random modifiers
  • Jeweller's Orb
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges the number of sockets on an item
  • Orb of Fusing
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges the links between sockets on an item
  • Rage Scratch
    Jewelled Foil
    Click to expand
  • +25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
  • +14 to Strength
  • 154% increased Physical Damage
  • Adds 23 to 40 Physical Damage
  • Adds 28 to 49 Fire Damage
  • 27% increased Attack Speed
  • 20% increased Stun Duration on Enemies
  • Golem Hunger
    Jewelled Foil
    Click to expand
  • +25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
  • 161% increased Physical Damage
  • Adds 48 to 100 Fire Damage
  • 26% increased Attack Speed
  • +41% to Cold Resistance
  • +11 Life gained on Kill
  • Adds 12 to 22 Physical Damage
  • Damnation Loop
    Steel Ring
    Click to expand
  • Adds 4 to 14 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • Adds 8 to 13 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +201 to Accuracy Rating
  • +47% to Lightning Resistance
  • +1 Mana gained on Kill
  • 40% increased Elemental Damage with Attack Skills
  • +43 to maximum Life
  • Spirit Eye
    Steel Ring
    Click to expand
  • Adds 3 to 14 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +53 to Strength
  • Adds 8 to 15 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +43 to maximum Life
  • +20 to maximum Mana
  • +35% to Lightning Resistance
  • +24% to Fire Resistance
  • The Perfect Form
    Zodiac Leather
    Click to expand
  • 46% increased Evasion Rating
  • +76 to maximum Life
  • -30% to Cold Resistance
  • 8% increased Dexterity
  • Arctic Armour has 100% reduced Mana Reservation
  • Evasion Rating is increased by Uncapped Cold Resistance
  • Phase Acrobatics
  • We share one space,

    speak one voice,

    act through one body.

    A flawless crystal.

    Brittle.

    Taste of Hate
    Sapphire Flask
    Click to expand
  • 20% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Cold Damage during Flask effect
  • Gain 30% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage during effect
  • 30% chance to Avoid being Chilled during Flask effect
  • 30% chance to Avoid being Frozen during Flask effect
  • A sip will freeze your lips,

    A swig will chill your heart,

    A glass will still your soul.

    Perq
    Apr 04, 2017 14:24:07 PM

    "
    Perq wrote:
    "
    angrybstard wrote:

    being able to earn currency. . . . I used to do that.


    What is stopping you?

    Spoiler
    Exalted Orb
    -
    Click to expand
  • Enchants a rare item with a new random modifier
  • Chaos Orb
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges a rare item with new random modifiers
  • Jeweller's Orb
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges the number of sockets on an item
  • Orb of Fusing
    -
    Click to expand
  • Reforges the links between sockets on an item
  • Rage Scratch
    Jewelled Foil
    Click to expand
  • +25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
  • +14 to Strength
  • 154% increased Physical Damage
  • Adds 23 to 40 Physical Damage
  • Adds 28 to 49 Fire Damage
  • 27% increased Attack Speed
  • 20% increased Stun Duration on Enemies
  • Golem Hunger
    Jewelled Foil
    Click to expand
  • +25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
  • 161% increased Physical Damage
  • Adds 48 to 100 Fire Damage
  • 26% increased Attack Speed
  • +41% to Cold Resistance
  • +11 Life gained on Kill
  • Adds 12 to 22 Physical Damage
  • Damnation Loop
    Steel Ring
    Click to expand
  • Adds 4 to 14 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • Adds 8 to 13 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +201 to Accuracy Rating
  • +47% to Lightning Resistance
  • +1 Mana gained on Kill
  • 40% increased Elemental Damage with Attack Skills
  • +43 to maximum Life
  • Spirit Eye
    Steel Ring
    Click to expand
  • Adds 3 to 14 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +53 to Strength
  • Adds 8 to 15 Physical Damage to Attacks
  • +43 to maximum Life
  • +20 to maximum Mana
  • +35% to Lightning Resistance
  • +24% to Fire Resistance
  • The Perfect Form
    Zodiac Leather
    Click to expand
  • 46% increased Evasion Rating
  • +76 to maximum Life
  • -30% to Cold Resistance
  • 8% increased Dexterity
  • Arctic Armour has 100% reduced Mana Reservation
  • Evasion Rating is increased by Uncapped Cold Resistance
  • Phase Acrobatics
  • We share one space,

    speak one voice,

    act through one body.

    A flawless crystal.

    Brittle.

    Taste of Hate
    Sapphire Flask
    Click to expand
  • 20% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Cold Damage during Flask effect
  • Gain 30% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage during effect
  • 30% chance to Avoid being Chilled during Flask effect
  • 30% chance to Avoid being Frozen during Flask effect
  • A sip will freeze your lips,

    A swig will chill your heart,

    A glass will still your soul.





    Im not sure what thats meant to mean?

    angrybstard
    Apr 04, 2017 14:27:47 PM
  • Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 148
  • 149
  • Next